1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Choices... Choices...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by phallpdx, Jul 27, 2007.

1. phallpdx

phallpdx

Jun 2, 2007
    I am looking for a bass and I have narrowed my decision to:

CIJ Jazz
    American Jazz
    Highway One Jazz
    Lakland 44-01
    Ibanez Musician/other cheap yet great vintage bass (any suggs)...

I really like vintage basses and basses that have "soul" if you have any idea what I am talking about... I really like the shape and sound of jazz's and I like the tonal possibilities of an active bass. I don't really want to spend as much as people want for standard american jazz basses, mostly because I think that I could get a bass that is just as good for cheaper. I want to buy a bass that will last me for a long time.

Anyone have any opinions or basses to add to the vintage hunt list?... that would be great. Please don't add any new model basses to the list though, I already narrowed my choices to the ones above. THANKS A TON

phallpdx :help: :)

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    if a vintage bass has soul, it's from the years that the bassist played his heart out on it.... I'm all for putting my own 'soul' into an instrument. Play them all and see which one your soul likes best ;)

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I have played all of the below and own all of them except the Highway 1 (and my Lakland is a 55-02).

CIJ Jazz - I love my Geddy and this bass will be with me a long time. Collectable, sounds great, looks great and the neck is the fastest I have ever played.

American Jazz - Mine is a MIA Deluxe 5er and my guitarist (who has played with many famous bands and has a recording studio) says it is the best bass he has ever heard on a gig or in a studio.

Highway One Jazz - Great for the price but don't buy an older model (pre '05 or so) as they don't have the Badass bridge which adds notable sustain IMO.

Lakland 44-01 - I really like the Barts in the 44/55-02 vs. the Laklands in the -01 series. The -01s sound good but doesn't cut it for me like my 55-02 on a gig. Especially if your gui**** has a Marshall stack or you have a loud drummer.

Ibanez Musician - Unless you pay $800+ for a high end Ibanez, I really think the electronics are sub par and the pickups get lost in the mix.

Personally? I would look for a used 44-02 or a MIA Jazz Standard. A CIJ reissue would be my 3rd option.

Just my $0.02. Hope it helps.

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting.:bassist:

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I think you have to try as many of the basses on your list as possible to see which one you prefer. Any one of them would be a fine choice. I have a Geddy, a mij/cij precision and have owned a Highway Jazz and they are all good value for money.