Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chris_AtariDoll, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    Im in desperate need for a new 5 string (my last one was taken from my car). But im not sure what to do

Do i :

1. Sell my 1987 Warwick Thumb TN and buy a new 5-string (probably a thumb or a streamer).

2. Keep hold of my thumb and get into more debt and buy the 5-string.

3. Buy a cheap(er) 5-string.... just to get buy.

2. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    4) hunt down the piece of s*** that stole your bass, own his ass, and call it even.
  3. I totally agree with Warwik5S. I once had all of my **** stolen and I did a little vigalente justice. I tracked down the bastards and kicked their asses.
  4. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    I wasnt that bad..... the bass that was stolen was a really cheap 5-string soundgear copy.... the neck was all over the place.... they did me a favour.... I used the insurance money to (help) buy my present thumb (i knew i needed a 5-string, but it was just too good a deal).
  5. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    No. 3
    No.1 is out of the question, I've seen pics of your thumb and I think no, no, no
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i'd still beat his ass. :D

there are some nice cheaper 5'ers out there. lakland skylines, rockbasses, ibanez BTB, cort B5's (don't laugh till you play one of the new ones with the wenge neck - they rock.)
  7. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I'd get a nice cheap 5. Maybe an MTD Kingston or used Stingray 5.
  8. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    I tried a B4 when i had my insurance money in my pocket.... if they had had a B5 in the store i probably would have bought it....

I wondered about the RockBasses, but im not a big fan of the corvette shape... and that strat style jack on the streamers suxs.

If i buy a 5.... i will probably be using it all the way through a set (ill keep my thumb TN for the studio). So im probably looking at the £1000 mark... Thumb BO, Streamer LX.... possibly a Jazzman.

I do love the tone of my thumb.

9. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001

Thanks mate.... people seem to either love it or hate it.

I didnt really like the colour when i bought it... i just new it was a little different... so i bought it (and it played like a dream).
  10. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA it YOU that has that robins-egg-blue thumb?!?!

11. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Get a Skyline 55-02.

I had been hearing all this fuss about Laklands but had not ever played one to see for myself until Guitar Center got a used 55_94 and I gave it a try.

I have historically had a hard time finding 5-strings that I could play well. This one was different.The right hand spacing was wide enough to slap, while the left hand spacing was tight enough to be useful

Try the Skyline.
  12. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001

Yep.... it is me. It looks alot deeper in the flesh... sort of like a fender daphne blue

I've already had a few people interesed in buying it... i just dont wanna end up regreting it....
  13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I wouldn't sell the Thumb, you will probably end up regretting it.

Go for a cheaper 5, so it doesn't break your wallet. Maybe something like an MTD Kingston 5er.
  14. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    If you sell that bass, you are going to regret it.. keep it..

I would buy used if I were you... I would buy used if I were me... yeah.. you should buy used..
  15. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I'm of the opinion that its better to have one or two truely fantastic basses than several lesser basses

that Warwick Thumb looks VERY nice...if it fits your hands perfectly and sounds and plays just like you dream a great bass should, then keep it.....but I get the feeling that its not the bass of your dreams, otherwise you wouldn't consider selling it, right?

only you can answer that
  16. Chris_AtariDoll

Dec 8, 2001
    It isnt the bass of my dreams..... that would sound and feel the same... but have 5 strings (and probably be a different colour).

My thumb is the best bass i have ever played, sounds great...feels even better. i would hate to see it go....
  17. For a grand you might be able to snag a second hand (or "pre-owned" or whatever they call it!) SEI 5 string at The Gallery. Boutique bass. Might be worth checking out...