1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Choices of a bass for a rookie.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Elezium38, May 13, 2015.

1. Elezium38

Elezium38

May 13, 2015
    Montreal
    Hello folks!

I'm looking for a OK rookie bass, but that last some time (not that cheap). I play guitar for a little while and I played before a few years ago, and I want to get back to it slowly.

Funny thing is, I have some points on a Credit Card that I can used to buy in a electronic shop (Best Buy in Canada) ... So I was looking at the basses the offers:

LTD (EC-104)
    ESP LTD (B-50)
    Epiphone Toby Deluxe IV
    Schecter Raiden (SPC-4-STBB)

My guitar is a LTD EC-200M and I must saw I am satisfied with it. A friend have a Epiphone guitar and he's satisfied as well. So I would trust those 2 names. No idea about the Schecter to be honest.

So, I could get any of these basses for almost free...

But still ... if they are bad product, it's a no deal.

So the question is, which of those 4 basses would you pick? And if none of them, what bass would you get for around 300-350$ ?

Ho... I like to play rock / metal / prog... and I owned a Peavy Vypyr VIP-1 (which can accommodate basses).

Thanks so much for your time, appreciated.

- Elezium

2. Rattfink

Rattfink

Jan 31, 2014
    Denver,CO USA
    I think you would get the most for your money out of the Schecter. But how it feels and plays, to you, will matter so much more. You should try to play them if you can.

tuba_samurai likes this.
  3. Ibanez. If you are coming from guitar you will feel comfortable with the size and their QC on lower end models is pretty darn good

kwaping, Growlmonkee and Evil Undead like this.
  4. ejaggers

ejaggers Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2009
    Fort Worth, tx
    None of the basses you listed are very popular so I'd be surprised if you get very many hits on this post.

5. Elezium38

Elezium38

May 13, 2015
    Montreal
    Thanks for your answers...

Yeah... I pretty much realized they are not popular models... I've been googling and found some "reviews" (people paying the bass itself, without much comments on it)..

The Epiphone was my first choices, but since it does not seems to be much recommended, I'll twist the question around:

Forget about the models I saw... around 300-350$ (I can go a bit higher if the product worth it), which brand / model would you suggest? Again, rock / metal / prog.

I check out Ibanez (Thanks basslifter) but all my local stores barely have any :(

Thanks again,

Best regards,
    - Elezium

6. UK Philip

UK Philip

Sep 5, 2013
    second hand fender precision MIM.

you'd never see one for $350 over here but since you're in north america that option is probably there. then you've got a bass for life, not just a rookie model.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
    Scooberto and old spice like this.
  7. Elezium38

Elezium38

May 13, 2015
    Montreal
    Thanks UK Philip,

I finally found a local store that has a number of brand... including Epiphone, Gibson, Ibanez, Jackson, Schecter, Warwick, Washburn, Yamaha.... (and a few more)

I'll go there this afternoon and try a few of them.... Which reminds me that I did try a Ibanez Soundgear somewhere like 15 years ago and I really liked it..

We'll see what I can find and maybe get back with something nice ;)

Thanks folks!

8. RunBeerRun

RunBeerRun Banned

Mar 10, 2003
    If possible, I'd try them out in person, you'll want to check playing feel and sound. Otherwise, with more expensive or very inexpensive, you could go on reviews.

9. AxxGrey

AxxGrey

Apr 23, 2015
    Get the Schecter. I have a 5-string version of it and it's easily one of the best basses under $700 that I've ever tried.

10. jamro217

jamro217 Supporting Member

Welcome to TB. I'd check the yard sales, flea markets and classifieds in your area. Play as many used instruments as you can. This will give you an idea about what features you want or don't want in a bass. Used instruments seem to be a better value because they won't take the depreciation hit that new ones do, so if you decide to resell you won't lose as much. Hope this helps.

11. Elezium38

Elezium38

May 13, 2015
    Montreal
    Hello again,

So ... after a few subway ride.. I end up visiting 3 local music store... And tried a few basses...

The first shop didn't have any basses under 600$... in fact, they only have like 10 basses in stock... So needless to say that my visit was short!

The second had a bunch Fender / Squier, so I tried a 2-3 of them that were in the pricetag of 300-400$. They sound pretty good but since I'm a rookie, it's hard to say :"Hey.. this one sounds reallllyy better" .. I know that most of you would have probably notice the difference, I didn't really. The feeling was OK, but the string were a a bit high, I ask the salesman if it was normal, if maybe it required some adjustment? And he replies, with a Do Not Disturb face, "It's like that" ... Sorry, but I can't deal with those kind of people, so I went out the shop.

And finally, the 3rd one. They had a bunch of Ibanez, Yamaha, Fender/Squier, some Gibson as well (they were pricey...) . So I tried both a Yamaha and Ibanez. The Yamaha was really nice, it's feel comfortable to play and the sounds was nice (well.. for me!) And, to be honest, I kept the Ibanez at the end. I remember when I try it a whiillle ago, I like it... So I try it out and really, the touch is really nice. The strings are close to the neck which make it easier to play. The sounds was nice and I was happy with it. I try another Ibanez (which was a lower end model) and the touch was not the same, the string were high and it seems it took more pressure on the string.

So, end of the story, I get out the store with a Ibanez SR300 :) I busted my budget a little, but I'm an happy boy! Maybe I could have try more models, maybe I could have been more patient. But I had the feeling that as a rookie, trying out 20 models would confuse me more since I don't really know what to expect!

Thanks again for your tips, I realized that actually trying out a few model help me choose, to some extent.

Now... let 's go Tab Hunting ;)

Best regards,
    - Elezium

12. I don't think there's any such thing as a 'rookie" bass technically. It's usually a budget factor initially.

Pretty good choice you made there for the momeyIMO.

Shortscales are often referred to as "beginner" basses.....which is a total load of internet bro' crap...........any bass is a beginner bass when you haven't ever played one before.

hrodbert696 likes this.
  13. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    Out of the original Best Buy set I've actually heard good things from the LTD B-50 crowd. Can't really go wrong with the SR300 as a first bass though.

Bodhammer likes this.
  14. Elezium38

Elezium38

May 13, 2015
    Montreal
    Yeah.. maybe it's good... who knows ;)

I'll use the original point I had and buy a coffee machine instead ;) Nothing happens for nothing ;)

Later. I have some bass to play (and I like it so far!) Just exercising the fingers

15. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    ESP LTD all the way. Best pup and construction/tone out of all of em, except for their home operation.

Neveragain55 and Bodhammer like this.
  16. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    For Sale/Trade - Yamaha BB 615 - Price Drop - Now $300 | TalkBass.com
    Rookie-
    Welcome to TB.

Rule #1 for buying basses: Buy Used!

Rule #2: Buy used from TalkBass classifieds. Much less likely to get ripped off.

I just looked in the classified and found a great selection for you.

Not my ad...but if I had $300 and no bass and had a gig...I would buy this one:

For Sale/Trade - Yamaha BB 615 - Price Drop - Now $300 | TalkBass.com

If I don't buy it first!

Rule #3: Forget what you know about guitar brands. They don't necessarily apply to basses from the same maker.

Rule #4: trust the old dudes on TB. We wouldn't steer you wrong.

17. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    Coffee is good too.

18. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Isn't 10.2 lb bass bad for a beginner?

19. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
  20. ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I wrote "If I had $300 and no bass..."

Just trying to expose OP to more options.