Choices... which one of these heads?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrOrange, Jul 14, 2004.

1. MrOrange

Jul 14, 2004
    Discoville, IF

I'm steadily making my way into the honorable low-frequency producing world of bassists, and am shopping for a head to cover studio and live needs. Because I'm not a wealthy person and all the gear in the world is not available for me, I've currently narrowed down my alternatives to a Hartke 3500 (new) and a Marshall DBS 7200 (used).

As you might've suspected, I'd need recommendations to help me make up my wretched mind.

The Marshall would be about $150 (or 120 euro) cheaper than the Hartke.

Any suggestions will be entertained. :help:
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    its hard to say w/o knowing the wattage of the heads
    i have no experience with the marshall, the hartke is an "ok" head
  3. MrOrange

Jul 14, 2004
    Discoville, IF
    The Marshall is 200W and the Hartke 350W.
  4. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
  5. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I use a 3500 for backup now my Mesa is fixed. It is about the most Band for Buck you can get. Especially used. It is flexible, powerful, sounds excellent, and reliable and inexpensive. I know nodda about Marshall SS stuff.
  6. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I would go for the Hartke... mainly because Marshall is surely not known for producing bass amplifiers, despite making world-class guitar heads. It's going to be worth the extra money, I would assume. You did mention live usage.... and... 200W... idk about that. 350W would at least get you by (at first).

What kind of speakers are you looking at??
  7. MrOrange

Jul 14, 2004
    Discoville, IF
    Speakers? Most likely a 1x15, perhaps a 4x10. Haven't made up my mind yet.
  8. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002
    Mjallow MrOrange,

I'd certaintly go for the Marshall.

When I was younger, I worked in a MusicShop and sold a lot of these.

I like their EQ, punch and diversity.

Hartke is in my ears too distinct and lacks a great deal of power and punch.

Let's us know, what you aquire :hyper:
  9. MrOrange

Jul 14, 2004
    Discoville, IF
    Input from anyone else?
  10. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Well, my only real experience is with the Hartke gear, not the Marshall. A lot of Hartkes are present here in the states... and I dont see many bass players playing Marshall. It's really your call though.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd go with the Hartke. I had a 3500, and it was a versatile, reliable amp. Marshall's not really known for good bass amps. Check how many pros play each brand.
  12. MrOrange

Jul 14, 2004
    Discoville, IF
    Thanks guys for your input!

It just gets a bit more complicated now:
    I spotted a used Trace Elliot AH 200L head nearby, and it's in my pricerange. Any thoughts on that one?

Quick responses would be highly appreciated! :hyper:
  13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    The Trace Elliot is an excellent head! I love TE equipment. Let me tell you, that 200 watts is a loud 200 watts. I would think the volume output would be close to a Hartke 3500 and the tone of the TE (IMO) kills the Hartke. Just make sure and use a quality cab(s) with it and it would be a good setup. The only problem is it would be used with no warranty. Ofcourse, that doesn't stop me! TE stuff is built like a tank.
  14. MrOrange

Jul 14, 2004
    Discoville, IF

And ttt...

There must be more guys here who know about the Trace amp. C'mon, don't be shy!