1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Choose between P or J pickup!! (only one of 'em)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ai4281, Jan 1, 2007.

1. ai4281

ai4281

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver
    I have this P/J bass of mine that needs new pickups, and I was looking at both Duncan Basslines and EMGs...

and it occured to me 'why buy both pickups? I rarely used the P one when I had working pickups on the bass...'

But that was when this bass had frets on it,,, now I turned it into fretless, so I am not sure about which one to buy for the sound I am looking for... P or J?

and I want to only have one pickup on the bass because I only want two knobs on this bass...

This bass is probably gonna be used exclusively for jazz, fusion and funk, btw.

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

J pickups + fretless is a pretty nice combination.

3. two pups with a stacked volume knob?

4. ai4281

ai4281

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver
    one J in bridge position should be good, i guess... cause thats what Jaco did, I think (didn't he used the bridge PU exclusively?)

5. Andy V.

Andy V.

Nov 5, 2006
    Dumbo, NY
    +1 on the Jaco thing...

I would think about a P and a J with two knobs (one volume; one tone) and a switch to choose both or each one individually.

6. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    What do you mean by

?

It seems weird that both pickups would crap out at the same time. Are you sure it's not a problem with the other electronics?

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I use a fretless P sometimes, I use a fretless J sometimes. My ideal fretless would be a P/J for that reason.

8. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    +1

9. ai4281

ai4281

Nov 25, 2005
    Vancouver
    yeah, about both pickups craping out at the same time...

Lets just say my bass got really wet once, and I plugged in right after... fizzle fizzle boom!