1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Choose my 3rd effect, please...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fretlessman71, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Okay - my ability to reason is temporarily compromised, so please no posts about how I should solve this myself or do a search. I'm getting nowhere with that.

I have a Boss plastic pedalboard that holds 3 effect pedals. I have a tuner and a limiter/enhancer and am happy with both of them.

I've had a chorus in the 3rd spot, but haven't had much use for it and found that it tends to get in the way of my tone rather than enhance it.

I have an EQ there right now, and it's fine except that with an active bass I really don't need it for much.

Your thoughts on what would be the most USEFUL effect for the 3rd spot would be much appreciated.

My main gig does not involve hard rock - I play mainly with a piano player as a duo in a very quiet room performing rock, soul, r&b, and some more modern songs like Maroon 5 or Train. I end up playing a lot of "Victor Wooten" percussion; that is, I play 'kick & snare' in muted thumb-pop fashion while integrating the bass line in order to pull off the more rockin' tunes we do (there's only so much a bass and piano can accomplish).

I realize this thread's existence will irk some members to the core before they even read the first line, so please accept my apologies in advance. I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance kids.

2. christmetal

christmetal

Aug 21, 2008
    Try to find a Boss RV 3
    it is a reverb and delay pedal in one
    they actually stopped making them becasue boss realized that they could make more money by seperating the pedals and seling them individually
    the delay and reverb sound amazing on it and its not expensice at all
    hope this helps

3. Not bad at all...worth a try. Thanks christmetal. Anyone else?

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Though I am irked to the core, I will suggest an envelope filter. I know you might think "no, I don't play wacked out funk", but a filter set to more subtle settings can provide a lot of motion and expression and tonal changes that respond to your amplitude and attack. An envelope phaser would be another great choice but I don't know of one that will fit in that pedalboard, so try the filter.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'd stick with another Boss pedal whatever you get. Those boards are made for them, so that's what I've got for you. Consider, an octave, the aforememtioned reverb/delay, (does Boss do a filter?), or whatever.

6. I know Boss made a T wah back in the day - will explore and see what else they do now. Thanks for the info guys - sorry to irk you Bongo.

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I was joking. ;)

8. ...But I'm STILL sorry. ;)

9. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Considering that the board you are using is made for Boss pedals, it greatly limits your selection.

In general I think overdrive is a good effect for most bass players, but the Boss ODB-3 is far from a pedal I'd recommend, especially considering the kind of stuff you've said you play.

There are a number of Boss pedals that I do like, but based on what you've said, I'd narrow my recommendations down to (1) the aforementioned RV-3 (2) a BF-2 or (3) an OC-2.

The RV-3 can lend some ambiance as a reverb or a delay. I don't know if you play any fretless at all, but that's a good use for reverb on bass, especially in a stripped down mix like you have.

I'm not a huge fan of the BF-2, but it is widely regarded as one of the best flangers for use on bass. In your case I think you'd want to keep it fairly light, but it can also add some color. But the last suggestion is probably the one I'd most recommend. An octave can fill space and give some heft and funk to your lines and the OC-2 has some real character to its sound.

That's all I can think of for now - hope it helps.