1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Choose my Tube Amp!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by taylor16, May 2, 2015.

1. Ampeg SVT-CL

16.1%
  2. Fender Bassman 300T

12.9%
  3. Mesa Boogie Prodigy

32.3%
  4. Ampeg V4B

29.0%
  5. Fender Bassman 100T

9.7%
  1. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    I've tried all the abovementioned amps all at different times and different locations with different cabs.

Currently use an Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 which is great and not limiting me as far as tone or volume, HOWEVER, I want to "upgrade" to an all-tube amp.

I use 2 Aguilar DB210 cabs and haven't routinely needed to crank the volume past 12:00-01:00. Play in a hard rock/metal cover band with two moderately loud guitarists.

Looking for any suggestions yall may have. This is for fun and responses such as "try them yourself and decide" are less the helpful and not needed. Just hoping for some open and general discussion on these very popular amps.

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Sounds like the SVT and the 300T are overkill for your needs. I am assuming you want to be pushing those tubes into overdrive, if the TH500 is too loud at noon you will probably not even distort the big boys.

10cc and taylor16 like this.
  3. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    Exactly my concern. I do like that the Bassman amp has a separate overdrive channel but I can always add that with a pedal, I guess (part of the reason I wanted toobz was for a "real" overdriven breakup to my tone, however).

These suggestions could easily be applied to us regular Joe's who play small-medium bars for the most part.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  4. Slpbass81

Slpbass81

Dec 16, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Endorsing: GHS Strings
    Out of all those amps which did you like better tone wise? I wouldn't worry about if the amp will be too powerful or overkill. I use an Ampeg SVT-CL through an 8x10 and a 2x12 depending on the gig. It all depends on what your ears choose and the price. The Prodigy in my opinion is overpriced when you could purchase a used SVT-CL for under $1,000.

5. GG7

GG7

Mar 14, 2013
    A Bassman 100t with vintage tubes including GE 6L6GC power tubes is tough to beat. Best sounding bass amp I have used, and have used most in your list.

Feature for feature it has what is truly needed and nothing more. Sound wise, it's just about perfect for most musical styles. Match it with a good Jazz or PBass and it's pretty much bass heaven!

denton57 and Moosehead1966 like this.
  6. ender Super Bassman. Headroom AND grindo on tap.
    Thru 410s I think you MAY struggle for clean headroom with 100w. Maybe not, depends on yr volume needs.
    The TH500 is no slouch in the volume dept.

7. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    If you go 100 watts the V4B has more useable clean headroom than the 100T IMO/IME (I have owned both and still have the V4B). The V4B seems to overdrive a little more "harmoniously" to my ears which seems to give it more useable grunt, although the 100T is more versatile features-wise.
    If you want loud then either the Super Bassman or SVT CL tick the boxes - a plus for the Super Bassman is that it is 20 pounds lighter than the SVT and has a few more options built in. I have owned both of these also and still own the SB300.
    I suspect that the V4B is your best option.

8. I'm gonna say Fender 100t. 100 switchable to 25 watts and wonderful grind at tolerable sound levels. Through a sealed 4-10 it's the sound I hear in my head! Marc

9. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Mesa 400+.

10. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    Mesa 400+!

11. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    :roflmao:

BassManPatsFan likes this.
  12. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'd be worried about having enough headroom on the 100w heads in a metal band. They might be perfect but they might just not be enough.

13. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    I'd say go with the any of the 300 watt tube amps you listed .... you never know about the future, in giging requirements ... remember those 300 watters have a neat thing ... volume controls

14. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If you're looking to get power tube distortion those volume controls have to be turned up, and then you are LOUD. The 100w heads listed can do it at a lower volume.

It all depends on what the OP is trying to accomplish.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, that's a tough dilemma. One could make a case for either low or high wattage.

16. BluesBassFreak

BluesBassFreak Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2007
    WA state
    I've had 70's SVT's (love), SVT Classic (not so much), Trace Elliot V4, Hexavalve (ok), Fender 300 Pro (awesome) Marshall Major (not sure it was running correctly), Mesa Buster (still have, nice) 70's V4B's (nice) and an old Univox 100 watter (just ok.)
    BUT, right now I have an Ashdown CTM 300 and it's WOW! Haven't gigged with it yet, but I sure can't wait too!!

deepbluesuk likes this.
  17. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    Lots of love for the V4B... Really wish there was a way to try in "real world" setting before buying.