1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Choose Wisely Grasshopper (which band)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Floridabwoy, May 25, 2012.

1. Floridabwoy

Floridabwoy Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    So I hate threads like this, but I find myself needing some guidance. My old band played their last show roughly to this date last year. I was so sick of this bands issues that I just kind of bowed out. The guitar player had a baby and we figured it was a good time to take a break. The guitar player was passive aggressive and the drummer was kind of tired all the time and we were kind of burnt out after 3 years. The guitar player was a good Dylan style songwriter, but his soloing wasn't that great. Jam-band esque. So... I have taken some rest and I am trying to get into a new band.

Band 1
    A rap-rock outfit. Rapper, tatted up guitar player, and drummer. These guys are starting out and have a lot of potential . Their song's have good substance but need work. I don't know them at all, but they want me to join. I would want to do a lot of writing for them as well as polish their songs to a more Rage Against the Machine sound. I don't know how well that will be received. As I said, these guys are strangers at this point. This music is very marketable where I live in Jacksonville.

Band 2
    This is the band I would REALLY like to happen. We wrote some songs from August - December then with the holiday's and the drummer breaking his hand Jan and Feb was null. I talked to the guitar player who is a great friend of mine on St. Patricks day and he said he wanted to use the drummer from his old band. I said cool. Set it up and I will be there. I waited a week and contacted him twice in two weeks about it. The drummer is really good but kind of a flake. The old drummer that we played with Aug-Dec is really really good, but there is a bond between the guitar player and the new drummer. The guitar player's excuse is he is really busy at work. Which mean's he wants to come home and drink beer instead of working on music. We wrote about 5 amazing song's in the couple months. Sounds like Avail / Hot Water Music.

Band 3.
    Funk Band covers and originals. Recruited two jazz musicians who are really much better players than I am, which I am excited about. A sax player and a drummer. The problem in this band is it is the guitar player from my old band of 3 years. I love him out of the band setting, but in the band setting he drives me nuts sometimes. He's a caller. He calls to talk about something band related every single day. He agreed that he would take a back seat to soloing and let the horns run the show. I was specific in saying. I don't want to get into the old habits. No 12 bar blues. No Sitting on the Dock of the bay type stuff. We agreed to learn Chameleon, Chalkdust Torture, and Get on the Good Foot. We practiced last week and he knew non of the songs which frustrated me because I spent two hours a day for a week and a half learning every run in Chameleon and Chalkdust Torture which are complicated songs. So we played song's from our old band so the drummer could play along.

So..... first off thanks for reading. Which should I choose. They all have negatives and positives.

2. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Well, it looks like your looking to join a start up project.

What are you looking for in a band?

Start ups trouble me because 90% of these bands never see their first gig.

Blue

3. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Based on what you tell us and if you really only have time for one, do band 1. Marketable, and you didn't need a long paragraph all the annoying frustrations you already know will come with this band. Not sure about trying to polish them into sounding Rage Against The Machine... incrementally getting bands to play the style you want can work, but it's much more likely to work if that style is more marketable than what they're currently doing. Rage was kinda marketable 20 years ago, you know? What does this band sound like now?

4. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    Personally I'd go with #1, but the way you present this it sounds like you really want #2. I wouldn't go with #3 myself.

If it's hobby/weekend warrior stuff, go with your gut. If you're looking for serious $, well, I don't know.

5. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    "Take two...they're small!"

In this case, take both #1 and #2, since it seems to me that #1 is a sure thing*, and #2 seems part time or project-based at best right now. Run away from #3.

*note: I'd be up front with these guys to (non-arragantly) say that you feel you could contribute in the writing and polishing areas, and see if working toward that RATM sound you'd like to try is interesting to them. If not, I still think this is a good idea, and if they are professional, you will be contributing in no time anyway.

6. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Ride things out with all 3 until you absolutley don't have the time any more.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'd do #1 and #2 at the same time until one prevailed or both were easy enough to continue together. If that's possible for you of course.

About #1. As much as I love RATM, I'm not sure how marketable that stuff still is these days. I guess things could be different in your area, I just don't know how well it would do up here. I'd listen to it, but I don't really go and hang out at bars & venues any more. The kids that do are into other stuff.

About #2. Dealing with flakes sucks, but maybe he is actually busy with work. It's possible that once you do all get together that it may light a fire under his a** to get moving. Maybe things be get a little more steady once that finally happens.

8. Floridabwoy

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Thanks guys.

#1 is a still pretty marketable here in Jacksonville, the home of Limp Biscuit, who we can all agree suck, but there are enough Pantera/HankIII types around that love that kind of music.

I agree about the kid's listening to other stuff. Most of the 17-15 flat brimmers want to listen to jam/electronic stuff or crappy push button DJ's.

Essentially, I would love to play what I love to listen to and I am not in it for the money really. I would do regional gigs but a nationwide tour is not in the cards unless SONY Music is paying for it :p

I think I am just fearing playing with people I don't know. I guess I need to learn a couple of their songs and go jam with them and see if they are who I would like to hang out. I like their sound and their agenda.

9. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Absolutely. At least try to meet up with them. If they're douches, then you'll know it. But they might be really cool and easy to jam with too.

It might be awesome, but you won't know if you don't try it!

10. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    If you want to play mustang sally, choose #3

If you want to say you're in a band, but never actually play, choose #2

If you want to actually play in a band and write material, choose #1

11. Floridabwoy

Sep 18, 2008
    Jacksonville, Fl
    haha... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

12. hhirbe

hhirbe

Mar 30, 2012
    Athens, Ohio
    That sounds about right. Until you get together and make some noise, you won't really know if you all mesh and have fun together.

13. imustscream

imustscream

Feb 21, 2012
    You're best bet is band one. Forget rage. Go listen to hacktivist if you want a modern rap rock band that people arw going to want to see. If you have a jazz backround its doable

14. Col Pruse

Col Pruse

May 28, 2003
    Savannah, GA
    If you think jamband-esque guitar is lame, definitely #1. Cuz rap-rock is really cool...