1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Choosing a Bass on Body Wood ? GREAT Resource !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tunaman, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Warmoth Body Wood Descriptions

This is an awesome review

I wish I knew this a long time ago! Great resource for buying basses & having an idea on the tone on your head & not being surprised.

Recently I purchased a Sterling 5 HH limited run made of Mahogany... I kinda overlooked the body wood thinking it would be a minor tone difference vs the normal wood Sterling (Ash\Alder?). WRONG. Mahogany was way warmer. The Basswood Bongo I have? Warmer as well so I thought I'd be buying 2 contrasting basses but I SHOULD have paid attention to the body woods closer

This chart helps a ton! :hyper:

By the way... I have a Warwick Streamer with a maple body & maple neck on the way. Now THATS going to be the opposite of Mahogany. Cool

2. Ash..... Ash..... Ashhhh. It's such a cool-sounding name, and an even cooler-sounding wood. My favorite. I have a few J-Bass Specials (basswood). B-I-G difference from my '75 Jazz. IMO, body woods do play a huge part in a bass guitar's tone.

3. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
  4. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    Yep, years of playing Spectors & Rics made me realize I love the sound of maple necks, maple bodies and neck-thru construction.

5. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    +1

Plus anybody that quotes husky is alright in my book. I couldn't find a Spector with the right spacing or a 3 band eq so I went with the Warwick