Choosing a cab when I'm almost broke

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Big, Jun 24, 2021.

1. The Big

The Big

Jun 24, 2020
    Hey y'all,
    So gigging is back in full swing. I've got a bar gig saturday 3d of July, 150-200 people tops. Looks like it's gonna be like that most of the summer with multiple bands.
    So I need a proper rig. My rumble 25 has no chance. I found a $400 Peavey MiniMega 1,000 watt. Used, good condition. Love it, because I need portability. I don't have a car.

But what do I do for a cab? I'm pretty much broke if I buy the Peavey but could sell a guitar for a cab maybe. What do I do? Only alternative is a Crate 220W combo, but I don't think that'll do. We're aiming for bigger venues soon so I want the wattage to push.

I know nothing about this stuff. What do I do? Can I get a small cab for now and just... Not blow it by keeping it down? But that's beating the purpose of the Peavey, right?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    1) Roughly where are you? Many of us are Craigslist threat level ninja and can help you with your local market.

2) What kind of volume do you need?

3) If you "sell a guitar" what's your speaker cab budget?

3. The Big

The Big

Jun 24, 2020
    Prague, czech republic. Right now Im home in Pennsylvania for another couple days, but I don't think lugging a cab through a plane is gonna work.

I want enough volume to play hard rock with two guitarists and a loud drummer in small to medium venues. I play pretty busy so I need to be clearly heard.
    As for budget... as little as humanly possible, even if I sell a guitar. I'm pretty much out of cash and gigging is looking to be my only way out of this rut until uni starts up again.

EatS1stBassist and DJ Bebop like this.
  4. Redbrangus

Redbrangus Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Under The X In Texas
    You're going to need to be back in Prague to ascertain what's available to you used. I'd be on the lookout for a 215 cab, but you're going to be limited to what's available there. That amp will get the job done into pretty much any speaker rig capable of handling the power. Is there any Peavey stuff in Prague? An old Peavey cab would be ideal for someone on a limited budget.

Also, does that amp have a universal power supply to accommodate the change in local power?

lomo, b_carville, DJ Bebop and 3 others like this.
  5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Is renting(AKA hire purchase)an option or feasible?

Nuage420, DJ Bebop, dbsfgyd1 and 4 others like this.
  6. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Not owning a car and wanting the wattage to push is not a problem when you're not on a budget, which unfortunately, you are.
    Getting a halfway decent 4x10 cab from the nineties is an option that's cheap and loud, but this is some unwieldy behemoth on the back of a bicycle.
    Any 2x10 or 1x12 cab loaded with neo magnets that is an easy carry is going to cost.

Bigger gigs usually mean bigger PA systems and as soon as your PA has decent subs, it can take care of the heavy lifting. I personally see less and less need for big rigs playing out. I have mine sitting in the rehearsal space gathering dust - can you confirm that you will need the firepower to keep a room of more than 200 people bassed up without PA support?

Eli_Kyiv, DJ Bebop, MattZilla and 2 others like this.
  7. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Since the purchase will be in Praque, I suggest that you find out what is available locally in your price range (used market). There are 1,000s of different cabs people could potentially recommend, but it's not going to do any good for people to make random suggestions for gear that is not available.

The fact you don't have a car is problematic. But if you have a friend with a car, or can take a train, consider a day trip. When I lived in Germany I took a couple of day trips to buy gear. One was about 6 hours one way; this one was totally in Germany. On another drip I drove to the far side of Belgium.

Make it a point to identify whatever online market places are available in Czech Republic. I found some of my amps on Ebay and some on Kleinanzeigen, which is an Ebay affiliate that looks something like CraigsList. I also found at least one of my amps by doing Google searches that were limited to Germany.

lomo, mikewalker, DJ Bebop and 4 others like this.
  8. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Someone has a PA, is there a reason you can't just DI into that and use the monitor mix? That will probably work better than some cheap-used amp.
    You can get a good Active DI box for ~$230 new and it fits in a gig bag
    Bass Driver DI – Tech 21 NYC

9. The Big

The Big

Jun 24, 2020
    So this is actually a great question. I have PA support. But most people Ive seen only use acoustics and vocals with it.

How does this work? Can I plug the Peavey into a PA? If so, that might just work. Thing is super light and fits into a backpack

DJ Bebop likes this.
  10. The Big

The Big

Jun 24, 2020
    Damn, you're right. I actually have a high end DI box sitting in my drawer. Never used it. I might as well just give that a whirl, haha. But a guy at the venue implied the PA might not handle bass very well.

Is there any point getting the Peavey then?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  11. Deenah

Deenah

Jan 9, 2021
    People are always open for negotiation,barter,trade. Don't be afraid to use that tactic to get what you need.
    But honestly you are going to need a car if your getting bigger that a combo,or pay a band mate for transportation.

DJ Bebop, DrMole and Wasnex like this.
  12. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    The problem with a DI into house PA is of course that it leaves you at the mercy of the house. If they have a crap PA, you'll sound like crap. Than again if they have a crap PA, the whole band will probably sound like crap.

A High Pass Filter you can put between you and the PA could save you some aggravation. I like Broughton Audio, but there are others.

DJ Bebop and Obese Chess like this.
  13. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    If you ask me, when you want to amplify a bass guitar real loud and need to spend your cash wisely, blow the major part on your budget on the cab. That's where the volume comes from. You need to move air.
    You'll get by on 350 Watts more often than not if you drive them into enough membrane surface area.

14. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Harley Benton from Thomann is going to be your low-cost go-to in Europe. Here are a few of their cabinet offerings.

Harley Benton SolidBass 210T – Thomann (thomannmusic.com)
    Harley Benton SolidBass 410T – Thomann (thomannmusic.com)

Your best value would be a H-B head and cabinet as a package, which would only be slightly more than the Peavey head you're looking at.

Harley Benton SolidBass 600H Bundle – Thomann (thomannmusic.com)

Harley Benton SolidBass 600H Bundle – Thomann (thomannmusic.com)

H-B also has a high power mini-amp for less than the Peavey.
    Harley Benton Block-800B – Thomann United States (thomannmusic.com)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    Avigdor, wave rider, DJ Bebop and 5 others like this.
  15. The Big

The Big

Jun 24, 2020
    Hmm... This is a real dilemma. On one hand I really wanna build a dedicated rig. Ever since I played a GK 1000 watt, I've been hungry for that raw power. On the other, I need to actually be able to play in 9 days. I don't really know what to do. The PA is really something Id rather avoid for reasons stated by others here.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  16. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

It's going to depend primarily on the PAs ability to carry bass. Also the mixer needs an open channel for you.

Not only that, but there needs to be a monitor assigned so you have some way to hear your bass on stage, and ideally the mix should be tailored specifically to you.

If it's a small PA that is used only for vocals, you are probably out of luck.

The Peavey MiniMega has a built in DI. The DI can be set Pre or Post EQ. This is more convenient than carrying a separate DI, but the separate DI may sound better (depending on quality). Audio techs generally prefer a Pre EQ DI so they have a neutral unprocessed signal to work with. In some rare instances Post EQ is necessary. Post EQ tends to be noiser than Pre. Also if you make chances to your amps tone and gain controls it will impact all mixes derived from you signal.

If you use Post EQ DI, I suggest that you try to get your sound dialed in at the beginning of sound check, and then lock it down. Also you need to review the manual for you amp to determine if the Master Volume is before or after the Post EQ DI. Here is a link to the manual 118729_34229.pdf (peavey.com) If the Master is before the DI, then even making volume change to your amp mid show will mess up all mixes.

The MiniMega has a line voltage selector. If you bought the amp in the US you will need to switch it to EU voltage. See item #20 on p. 6 of the manual.

wave rider and Pulverizor like this.
  17. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Do you have a friend or acquaintance from whom you can borrow gear until you've saved enough money to buy something you really want?

MarkA and Wasnex like this.
  18. The Big

The Big

Jun 24, 2020
    Luckily I reserved it back in Prague, so the voltage is European. Haven't bought it yet. Can still cancel. But I do quite like the sound of it, especially if I can use it with a PA.

Wasnex likes this.
  19. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    If the PA speakers are unlikely to handle bass signals, can you have PA send an amplified signal to a bass cabinet provided by you? If so, your DI, plus a bass cabinet would get you going until you can afford to buy a lightweight amp.

20. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Getting a realistic idea of how loud you need to play is an important consideration. Also will you be travelling with the band, or have to use public transportation or a bicycle? If you need to be loud and cheap, your choices will be limited to older cabs that are big and heavy. What choices will you make if your mobility requirements are in conflict with your volume requirements?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021