1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Choosing A Cheap Neck for a Jazz Bass Project

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BillyIVbass, May 19, 2011.

1. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    Got an MIA Jazz body that sounds great. I need a neck and am weighing my options. I'd prefer a maple fretboard, but not against rosewood. I'm trying to keep it around $300.

-Mighty Mite Necks are cool, but it just doesn't make me go "I love this neck) $100 + you figure another $100 for hardware so, $200 you are done. Problem = Guitar Center is the best price (coupons), but they don't stock the maple.

-Then I played a Classic Vibe Squier. The neck felt like a million bucks! Reminded me of an MIJ Fender P-bass I have. $350 I have a sweet bass neck as well as a loaded body for yet another project to put me back where I started haha.

What would you do? Am I missing any other options? I feel vain for not whole-heartedly wanting a Squier logo on an MIA body, but well, I might suck it up.

2. cjmodulus

cjmodulus

Jul 15, 2010
    If the squier neck feels good to you I'd go with that. You can also look on eBay or on the classifieds here to find an actual fender neck. A custom Warmoth neck may be expensive, but if you get it from their showcase the price might be pretty good. There was another site that made fender style parts whose name escapes me at the moment. It had 'American' somewhere in the name IIRC...

3. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Check eBay. Finished Mighty Mite and All parts necks can be found for around $90 and $220 easily.

4. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I'd check eBay daily. With a nice MIA body, you want a pretty nice neck...maybe a Warmoth or something. That STRATtosphere guy (on eBay) usually has a bunch of bass necks.

5. I bought my old MM neck from eBay dirt cheap and free shipping!!

6. john9

john9 Banned

May 19, 2011
    That's fantastic!

7. Dude get a squier 60s neck, there is one for sale here in mint shape for 120$, way better then mighty mite necks.

8. Zvonimir

Zvonimir

Jul 24, 2016
    I have to post in this old thread. I'm trying to do the same thing... and noticed very cheap ($40-$60) brand new maple necks on ebay. Are these things OK?
    I mean maple is maple... What do you think will be wrong with them if I put them on my good old jazz?

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    A link would help you get more info.

10. Zvonimir

Zvonimir

Jul 24, 2016
    PortlandBass77 likes this.
  11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    bolophonic likes this.
  12. I have a classic vibe 60s P, that neck is very nice for the money. I have not played the 60s Jazz but assume it is nice as well although I prefer the p neck.

13. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I would pick up a Squire neck here in the classifieds. It worked well for me on a CV 51 P neck.

14. I would probably go with a neck out of the classifieds here first. BUT I have put two finished Mighty Mite necks on Jazz builds in the past with great results. I've had them both for years and both have been very stable and stayed straight without any TR tweeking. I have one on my RoadWorn P that I sanded the back of and I love it.

15. Zvonimir

Zvonimir

Jul 24, 2016
    Thanks for the answers, everybody. I don't really want to consider a used neck. I want the shiny frets and a new maple neck. For some strange reason, I play better with the feel of a maple neck.

At one point I considered buying a fret puller to try and refret the bass myself, with the help of the detailed videos we can find on YouTube, but considering how cheap these necks are, I think buying it and simply replacing the old one with it should be a better idea.

The only thing which makes me uneasy is my worry that these cheap necks might be unstable, defective or otherwise of poor quality, since they're so cheap. For example, would I get better sound and playability with a Fender brand neck costing several hundreds? I understand that some might believe I will... but I'm not sure this is based on knowledge and not their gut feeling. Going by someone's gut feeling isn't something I'd like to do if being wrong should set me back hundreds of dollars.

By the way, they raised the price on the one I linked to on ebay. Amazon has the same thing for cheaper now:
    https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Maple...d-3035-4a40-b691-0eefb1a18396&pf_rd_i=desktop