1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Choosing a DI box

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Evil Undead, May 23, 2012.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I want a DI box to connect my bass to my amp and PA.

Bass is a passive Fender P
    Head is Promethean P500H
    Cab is Markbass 210

I'm keen on Radial stuff but they have so many to choose from.

Active or passive?
    Which model?
    Any other DI boxes recommended?

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  3. BKuettel

BKuettel

Apr 8, 2011
    Oneonta, NY
    I have experience with the sansamp nyc bddi and I LOVE IT! I used it with my old svt 200T and it really made the old head sound like the tube heads a lot of people use now adays. It also has an xlr output so you can hook that baby up to a pa or even mixing board for recording. It is really a nifty little gadget and I probably will keep it as long as I play bass. You can find them around craigslist and talk bass for about 150-200 american dollars. WELL WORTH IT IMO.

4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Country Type 85. High end pro quality. Bulletproof.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Countryman Type 85 is definitely a good one. So is the Radial J48. Both of them run on phantom power from the mixing board.

6. portlandguy

portlandguy

Feb 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I use a radial pro as a passice one and a sansamp bass driver as an active one - both great choices in my opinion.

7. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Fixed it for you...

The SABDDI is a decent tool as is most of the other tech 21 products. I personally prefer the paradriver by quite a bit. Either one can dial in a good sound though. That being said, they are definitely colored. If you are looking for a DI that won't futz with your sound, tech21 isn't the best option. They are really for when you want a DI that will emulate a mic'd up amp.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Inactive

Nov 5, 2005
    I like both of those when running mostly passive basses... I had a JDI for awhile, but it didn't work so well with some of my passives - my Countryman works well with every bass I own...

One little detail - the Countryman can run on phantom power or it's own 9v, whereas the J48 is phantom power only...

- georgestrings

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I prefer the Countryman, but I have used a Sansamp successfully as a DI. Just turn the effect off.

10. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    +1

I've got a JDI and a Type 85 and usually prefer the Type 85. Both are great DI's though, and I don;t think you can go wrong with either.

11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

12. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I've never heard of Countryman. Are they sold in the UK?

13. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

I own about 30 dis...

overall... active with useable knobs... something that will buffer phantom power.

A bit more depends on your budget and expectations.

-----

For passives, it's more of taste.

Iv'e recorded fretless with a countryman 85... had the engineer come back and want to pay to have me redo it in Radial JDI.

For passive, seems as if it makes a bigger difference to which exact bass and band you're mixing with.

--=--

OVERALL value, out of all of them (Yes including the countryman and radial) the used mxr m80 is a solidly built intuitive small footprint di... can be had for $60-65 USD....;.. for a "just in case" passive DI... the Rolls DB25 is about $28 new... has a trim pot for gain control... is smaller than a can of redbull.

14. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    I have the JDI and usually use it only as a backup, and because of that I like that it's fully passive and doesn't require 9V/phantom as yes, I've played in places where neither were available or you had to lend your singtard a 9V so yours goes out, etc.. I like the 85's tone a tad better but since I hardly actually "use" my DI anyway, this does fine. The J48 is also excellent if you're running a passive ax.

15. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I think I've narrowed it down to three, as I can't find a Countryman in the UK.

MXR M80
    Radial J48
    Sansamp BDDI

16. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

The AR-133 was designed and developed by BSS Audio, Hertfordshire, England, so you shouldn't have major problems finding it in the UK. I highly suggest you to check reviews of that DI Box.

17. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    That one looks interesting. The price seems rather cheap, if I can be forgiven for saying. Is it of a reasonable quality?

18. stingray56funk

stingray56funk

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    A Designs REDDI...discussion over. :bag:

:D

19. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Hated the MXR M80 as a fuzz box, as a DI not bad but I have a Sansamp PBDDI that I was recording with last night. A MUST have for terrible ground loops like I had at my last gig!

20. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.