Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Choosing a first snowboard?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Hey guys, I noticed there are quite a lot of boarders around here from the last board thread, and actually got the board bite this weekend when I went to try one out with my pal - yes, my butt is sore.

There's not much season left, but I've been fishing the used market at some sites and found a few inexpensive rides. The main issue is length: my optimal "normal" board length would be 160 or bit over (I'm 6') but I tried out both 160 and 150 and found out the 150 boards are easier to train on. Also, I've been offered a couple of very cheap 150's, like K2 Fuses etc.

So, the question is, would a 10cm less-than-normal board be a bad move for a beginner? I intend to get cheapo used stuff now (around $200 set) and when I get more cash at the start of the next season put some money into proper stuff. Also, I'm gonna use it only on very small kiddy-class hills - if I venture into any actual slopes, I can always get a rental.

2. Nothing wrong with that. I have a small board. I bought it a couple years ago (When I was around 13) and since I am nearing 17, it is shorter than my head.

I remember plowing into the back of some old lady when I was young because I didn't know how to slow down/stop We were both lying on the ground with someone over me saying something. Now I can safely navigate a double black diamond without fear.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Longer boards = speed
    Shorter boards = tricks

It isn't a bad thing to start out on something a little short. You'll be able to move it around easier at least.

-Mike

4. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Thanks guys. Got a good deal on a used 155 board - around 10cm shorter than "nominal" but should be pretty nice. It's a scratched and stickered but fully functional '02-season Icon Prospect with K2 V3 bindings, probably doesn't say much as I understand it is a small European brand.

Now all I need is a pair of boots.. too bad my size is at 12½ bit larger than average stock - I've found at least three good inexpensive boots that are just half a size too small! Oh well, I guess I have to get those expensive (well, $200ish) Salomon F20's, then.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    That's not always a bad thing. I used to ride boards from this tiny company in Seattle called Lib-Tech. No one heard of them, it was just a bunch of dudes who loved boarding building boards for their friends in one dudes garage. Now, they are known the world over, have some sick boards, and even play "Working Man" from RUSH on their homepage. They are awesome.

Boots....like a bass, try before you buy. Bad boots will ruin your day before it even starts.

-Mike

6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm 5'10" and I learned on a 155. Then i went to a 153 because I was getting into tricks more. Now I'm riding a 156 which is kinda big for me...but I'm in to free riding more so it's perfect. So smooth, and fast as hell.

Don't skimp on the boots man.

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yeah, I guess you guys are right about the boots. But for a student, that $50 difference in getting the Salomons instead of something cheaper like Ride Idols (felt nice for an inexpensive boot, by the way) means it'll take a month longer to get the cash for a helmet :bawl:

Oh well, I don't intend to do any stunts yet, so perhaps I'll manage without a pot the couple of times. I did get pants and wristguards, though :)

8. I have yet to wear a helmet, so you can probably skip that while you're learning.

Unless you really beef it on the bunny hill, it's going to be hard to hit your head. Unless of course, the slopes are pure ice, then I might recommend one.

Googles are a good idea, keep the sun out of your eyes. Yellow is probably the best color, because blue or purple make the surroundings too dark.

9. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    If you havent already, invest in a good pair of long underwear. I'd imagine it gets pretty cold in Finland.

10. Mmmmmmm I just picked up a new Emma Peel 160 Wide (LibTech). I can't wait to go tear it up on that bad boy. Sweet freakin' boards.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Sweet dude, that 160 wide is sick! Where did you score it?

I may grab up a Lib Tech next season. I love the Litigator! I'm in pretty deep with Burton and GNU this year.

-Mike

12. My girl hooked me up for valentines day. I was pimping a Never Summer that was just about to fall apart. I think she scored it on ebay.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Luck-eeeeeeee!

-Mike

14. I must be doing somethin' right! :bassist:

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well, you can't say that I wouldn't pay heed to advice. Salomon F20's are at home. In the end the choice was easy, as they were the only boots available in size 12 :meh: These should last me a few years. Thanks again, guys.

The board should be here in a couple of days, after that I just need to get the stickers off and perhaps give the top a slight rub with rubbing compound to get the worst scratches off - and drop it to the local store for full basework. I'm sure there's a nice board beneath all that teenagers lack of maintenance.

Long underwear I have - a basic sport underwear set seems to keep you relatively warm even with thin boarding pants.