choosing a five string fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dogdays, Mar 30, 2018.

1. dogdays

dogdays

Mar 30, 2018
    ohio
    howdy

newbie to this group. i'm a former upright player, looking to get my hands on a keeper 5 string fretless (unlined) for no more than a grand. i've been doing a lot of research and checking things out locally but i'd greatly appreciate any advice you all could provide. i'm looking for versatile, warm and mellow, not too heavy. i was just checking out a carvin, played an ibanez srf705, could use some more suggestions.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Every Carvin I’ve played has been great. What is it, LB75? There’s a lot of them on the used market.

dogdays and saabfender like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Carvins are a particularly great value used. Ibanez makes some really nice ones that fit the budget, and Sire will make you a very nice fretless 5er for quite a bit less. Yamaha might be worth checking too, don't know if they do fretless though. There are tons of other choices out there too.

dogdays and saabfender like this.
  4. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    After the same kind of research, I settled on the Ibanez Portamento.

The addition of the piezo pickup sealed the deal for me.

Don’t fall for the marketing crap of “sounds like an upright”. It doesn’t. As a former player, you know that nothing does. But it has a range of tones that is unmatched.

It’s a neck through, and the fit and finish is beautiful. However with that said, the electronics can be sketchy. On mine, the piezos grounded out. All that required was opening the control cavity, and moving the preamp about 1/4”. Since then, I haven’t had a problem.

dogdays, TDSmith and bholder like this.
  5. dogdays

dogdays

Mar 30, 2018
    ohio
    thanks a lot guys. yeah, i liked the carvin a lot but the ac50 i looked at needed serious work. maybe my first choice at this point if i can find a good one. i'll also check out the lb75. the portamento with flats seemed amazing for the price but the one i tried (new in store) had a dead bridge p/u and other electronic issues. still really like it, but hesitating about build quality. not really looking to duplicate upright sound. (for fun, got a kala u-bass that isn't that far off.) i've heard some good things about sire (i figure marcus miller can't steer you too wrong) and of course yamaha. this is an amazing group, get lots of (good) feedback fast! really appreciate your input.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    bholder likes this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Gold Supporting Member

BEADG or EADGC or something else? just curious. thanks.

7. dogdays

dogdays

Mar 30, 2018
    ohio
    BEADG.

tfer likes this.
  8. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Did you check out the Ibanez SRH505F?
    SRH505F.jpg3.jpg

bholder likes this.
  9. dogdays

dogdays

Mar 30, 2018
    ohio
    i did, thanks, and i really wanted to like it but tho the sound was good, the build quality on the one i played in the shop was frankly awful. maybe it was just a bad apple, don't know. maybe i'll see if i can find another to try out.

10. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    +1 For finding a good used Carvin. My 5-string is an older Peavey Grind. It's terrific and a keeper. Those tend to run around $800 for a clean one. The older ones have a groove in the lower horn.

A6E87525-A971-4240-95C4-C19A4AAA3160.jpeg

11. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I tried one, but I’m too old school.

I need a pickup to anchor my thumb on...

12. dogdays

dogdays

Mar 30, 2018
    ohio
    thanks saabfender. i'll check those out. appreciate.