Choosing a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by igncal30, Mar 25, 2018.

1. igncal30

igncal30

Mar 25, 2018
    Buenos Aires
    Hello everybody, first time posting here, I have a question and it'd be cool if somene can share his/her experience with me. I'm going to buy a new bass and I'm between two options a fender jazz bass Mij 95 and a jazz bass Cij 2004-2005. So I was wondering which one is better.

MrBassman17 likes this.
  2. MrBassman17

MrBassman17

Dec 30, 2011
    Brewster, NY
    The answer to that question will be determined by your playing each one through the same rig a/b'ing them. What sound are you looking for and which of the two comes closest to that. What 'frill' are you looking for and which of the two come closest to that. See where this is going? Finally, which do you like the look of more? All else being equal, if you don't like how it looks, you won't want to play it! Especially if it's not your only bass! Good luck!

3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Hello and welcome to TalkBass!

I think both basses are good. Can you play both? Try to see if one feels better or sounds better. Of course, strings and a proper setup can help both feel and sound. If I could not try, I would get the one that is the better price, or the one that looks better. Both MIJ and CIJ Fender Jazzes are good instruments in my experience.

4. igncal30

igncal30

Mar 25, 2018
    Buenos Aires
    Hey, thanks for reply. Both basses have the same color jaja, the cij one (2004-2005) is cheaper, you guys think the difference between years makes a huge difference in the sound? Because a lot of people told me those fender basses mij in the 90's are truly great, but i don't know about those that were made in the 2000.