Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

choosing a new PC for my home

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Youngspanion, May 19, 2005.

1. Can any one give me some advice on a new PC? My Gateway has been ruined by virus' and its time for a new one. I was thinking of an Apple or a new Dell. Im not even familiar with all the terminology now as far as speed and memory goes. I woudn't know what to get. Any one have any advice? Thanks

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    www.ibuypower.com

If you can stand the cases and have a little background knowledge.

Not too exicted about the Dells these days.

Apple would avoid the virus problem for the most part, but it's a lot different than PC. -there are some pluses and some minuses there.

What's your budget?

What do you want it to do?

What are the specs on the Gateway? Cleaning it up and setting it up properly to avoid spyware etc. is a lot cheaper than buying anything new. Contrary to popular belief on these boards, that can be done.

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Go Mac. As a long time geek and former tech professional I can think of not a single reason why the average home user would want a PC over a mac now. Not one. Unless you want to play games, title selection on macs is pretty limited. But for everything else Macs do a wonderful job with far less headaches than PCs.

4. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    I agree that macs are definitely the way to go. I made this switch earlier this year and couldn't be happier. I have an imac g5 which runs fast, has loads of great apps, doesnt crash, doesnt get viruses, and is extremely easy to use. From tech geek to technologically challenged, macs are teh way to go as far as I'm concerned.
    -Alex

5. Right now I have 1.2 GHz hard drive and 256 MB of ram. I bought it with 60 gig hard drive with 64 bits of ram. I obviously have had it up graded a bit. My 10 year old uses internet and plays games. My wife uses the internet and needs internet explorer for some of her web sites. She's a travel agent. She writes letters for clients too and that sums up her use of the computer. As for myself , I use the internet and I burn music. I do not have a dvd player or burner. Sometimes I down load songs off of iTunes. We use a digital camera and I know there is a ton of software for musicians to use that I may or may not use in the future. Is this enough info? Id also like to spend about 600 or less (U.S.) if i get a pc being i already have the monitor, keyboard, and printer. I guess I'd spend more for a Mac if I had to.

6. Can a Mac use AOL? That is a priority.

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yes, unfortunately. AOL is poison for computers.

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

well, all the idolotry aside, your budget and the two compatibility issues listed suggest you need a new PC. I still reccomend the www.ibuypower.com site, or some other smaller company that offers the ability to buy OK components and will slap it all together for you.

9. I second ibuypower.com

I got a new PC from there last may, and haven't had a problem with it ever.

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I am a fan of Dell. My last two PC's have been Dells, and I have had zero problems. My sister, parents, and a few friends have all bought Dell's at my suggestion. Zero problems for them as well. I work on PC's for a living, so the last thing I want to do is come home and build PC's from scratch. Not much of a PC gamer, so I haven't really needed to check out the guys like iBUYPOWER. Look around your hometown for any small PC shops. They may charge you a little bit more than Dell, but if you can't work on your PC, the customer service from them is valuable.

-Mike