1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Choosing a Power amp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by ryan morris, Nov 22, 2002.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, I'm looking to set myself up some decent amplification.....I have a K&K double big twin pu and I want to run that straight into a Pre-amp and then into a Power Amp into a possible EA CXL-110...

My questions are:

Does it matter what kind of Power Amp I get if I run it with a good Pre-Amp? (There are power amps everywhere from $100-900...just match Ohms...right?)

What Pre should I get?

I'm looking to spend about $300 total on Amp and Pre....am I out of my mind?

Thanks, Ryan

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Well, yes and no. I think you'll probably have to spend more than that, but how much more depends on you. You could get a K&K preamp for about $100, and then maybe find a used 70lb. poweramp on ebay for $200, and then a fer more $ for the input mod, but then you'll end up with a 70lb. head before you even pick up your cabinet. And if THAT sounds good to you, then maybe you ARE out of your mind. :)

3. Not so crazy. I found a 7 lb, single rack space, Stewart World 250 power amp for $150 (200 Watts bridged into 8 ohm cab) and can run just fine with a Tech 21 Acoustic DI as a preamp. This is a bit short for the plank, but works great for the Double Bass. The Tech 21 won't quite run the Stewart full out, but then again, I generally don't need to anyway.