Choosing a Power amp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by ryan morris, Nov 22, 2002.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, I'm looking to set myself up some decent amplification.....I have a K&K double big twin pu and I want to run that straight into a Pre-amp and then into a Power Amp into a possible EA CXL-110...

My questions are:

Does it matter what kind of Power Amp I get if I run it with a good Pre-Amp? (There are power amps everywhere from $100-900...just match Ohms...right?)

What Pre should I get?

I'm looking to spend about $300 total on Amp and I out of my mind?

Thanks, Ryan
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Well, yes and no. I think you'll probably have to spend more than that, but how much more depends on you. You could get a K&K preamp for about $100, and then maybe find a used 70lb. poweramp on ebay for $200, and then a fer more $ for the input mod, but then you'll end up with a 70lb. head before you even pick up your cabinet. And if THAT sounds good to you, then maybe you ARE out of your mind. :)
  3. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Not so crazy. I found a 7 lb, single rack space, Stewart World 250 power amp for $150 (200 Watts bridged into 8 ohm cab) and can run just fine with a Tech 21 Acoustic DI as a preamp. This is a bit short for the plank, but works great for the Double Bass. The Tech 21 won't quite run the Stewart full out, but then again, I generally don't need to anyway.