Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Choosing a preamp (narrowed down)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Golem II, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Okay, say I have a choice between two good used preamp deals:

Aguilar DB680 for $750
    or an old-style demeter (1.5 rack space) for $300

If I buy the Demeter, I'll also be able to afford a good poweramp (probably Stewart world series or QSC PLX due to weight.)
    If I go with the Aguilar I won't have as much money for a poweramp and accessories. I could afford at best a Carvin DCM1000, which can't drive 8-ohm cabs as hard as I'd like it to.
    Opinions?

2. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    That is a bitchin' price for a db680!!!:eek:

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    dude, i used to own the demeter, and i sold it when i got the aguilar db680. that's a righteous deal on that ag - you should hop all over it, imo.

as for the power amp, you can always upgrade down the road. the demeter is nice, but it's not in the same league as the aguilar, imo. to be honest, i don't think anything is.

4. That price for a DB680 is crazy. Definately go with that. And i agree with JT. The aguilar is in a league of it's own. upgrade the poweramp later on down the road.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    nothing wrong with the DCM1000. puts 700 watts into 8 ohms bridged. that's not bad for under 400 bucks.

jason

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    There is nothing like the Aguilar. Granted I like the Demeter, I don't think it has the versatility and purity of tone that the Aguilar pre-amp does. And a good price!:)