Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Choosing a smoke machine

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LumpyGravy, Oct 9, 2002.

1. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    Hi. I am considering buying a couple of smoke machines aka fog machines. I would like some input from the members of talkbass. Tell me what is good, what to steer clear from, and pricing. THANK YOU! Paul

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Antari (www.antari.com)makes a good cheap fog machine for small-midsized rooms.
    its only about 70 bucks too which is a plus...we used to use it for our dorm parties....it worked great.
    thats the only fog machine I've had extensive use of.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Much of your consideration depends on the typical stage area you are playing on. If you play larger stages get a better machine instead of a lot of cheap machines. I haven't been with a band that used a fog machine since my old touring days.

But VEI makes the best fog I have ever seen/inhaled, ("Visual Effects Industries"). Their machines heat up in no time and cover very large areas. Don't even think of looking at "dry ice" machines - glycol/glycerin + water is a lot less trouble and expense in the long run.

Just a tip from one of our old lighting guys - you position the fog machine(s) ABOVE the band, like on a pole or something else above the band's heads (he used a cheap pole-vaulters rig from a track team).
    Because the output of the fog machine is heavier than the ambient air, the fog rolls down from above down on to the band. With colored lights, it looks very "trippy."

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

THe bars I play wouldnt need a smoke machine. If we had one you wouldnt be able to see the band thru the man-made smoke and the crap the crowd is puffing on.

5. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    Thanx for the input. I play out here in southern California. There is NO SMOKING out in public places. Someday I might open a smoker's only bar.$$$$

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    That would be against the law. California is a no-smoking state.

7. sweetpea

sweetpea Guest

Jun 6, 2002
    S'port, LoUiSiAna
    Oh, Munji.... let the man dream a little... gosh... :p

Personally, I don't think I'd ever buy a fog machine... I'm a non-smoker, but can tolerate cigarettes... (if I didn't I wouldn't ever go visit my dad :D) but the fog stuff... it's just horrible... I'll never forget this gig I did a few years back... I was right next to the fog machine... And I swear the thing was stuck on "FULL BLAST" mode.... I couldn't see my music, couldn't sing 'cause the stuff dried out my throat... it was awful...

The morale of the story... If you're going to spend the money... then get one that will not crap out on you...

Check out this site www.gotfog.com

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    If you have a vocalist, make sure they don't react badly to the smoke. Some singers find the smoke coats their throat and wrecks their singing voice.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you're a rock band, that's an asset! :D It worked for Kurt Cobain and Rod Stewart among many others.

10. LumpyGravy

LumpyGravy Guest

May 8, 2002
    MunjiBunga, you have a keen sense of the obvious. If I were to open a medicinal marijuana bar, it would certainly be legal. Thanx for helping me choose a fog machine. After all, that is the title to MY thread. I am sure glad the Peanut Gallery is ALIVE and WELL.
    To the other posters who spend their VALUABLE time on the internet, THANK YOU.

11. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I know we sell them @ the store so i imagine we sell them on the website. Not sure of the quality since i've never tried one. www.spencergifts.com thats all

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oooo. I think Lumpy must be one of those bandwidth-conservation guys.