1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Choosing among a Fender series. Help needed.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by martisanma, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Dear fellows. I'm about to get a job paid in kind. I'll have up to 3000 bucks my ex boss owes me to buy gear. It's a weird story. What it's available to him is mostly Fender. Sooo. I'm a jazz bass guy (at least i need a bridge pickup to play flamenco stuff).
    I had in mind an Elite V (i tried and lived two in a shop) but I play very long gigs and I'm afraid of their weight. I won't be able to send it back nor to try anything. What series would you choose? Performer, Pro, Original, Elite.... Would be good a fiver, but not necessarily. I play very dynamically, not much slap. I do all styles. Dance, songwriters, jazz, rock....I tend not to move knobs too much, so it can be passive.
    Thanks a lot for your help.

2. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I don't know if the elite is the right fit based on your needs. I believe you would be spending money on features you don't really need or want based on your post.

3. Performer Jazz and a nice amp/cab :thumbsup:

Resonance129 and Aqualung60 like this.
  4. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    NC
    If it were me, and I were choosing between the current Fender lineup, I'd probably snag an American Original 60's ahead of the Elite - but then I don't need a 5. I was really impressed with the quality of the one I played and the nitro looked/felt great. I think I would base it on how badly you want what the elite offers. The ebony is certainly nice if you like that, but something like an J Elite 5 and an Am Original 60s are almost unfathomably different beasts - just happen to be on the same body shape.

mdogs and James Collins like this.
  5. Thanks for the reply. One of the most appealing options to me is the candy apple red 60s Original.

6. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Do you have the ability to use the fund on more than one item? As 4sight said, an amp might be a good addition. The current fender amps are pretty great.

martisanma and ppiluk like this.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

To maintain versatility, I’d suggest keeping the bass in its entirety simple. Passive before active. Unless, you also have a good rig to drive an active bass in many different venues.

The reason being, and I’m a P-bass guy so...the passive Precision has never been a bad choice in a known or unknown venue. As much as I enjoy the active Dimension DLX 5, It always needs a bit more boost to really keep it punchy.

I can’t imagine it being all that different with the JB line. A good amp is essential. It doesn’t have to be a large setup, a 2 x 10 cab with a hybrid amp w/pa support can get you through most regional gigs. Keeping all things simple is the best way to get to your tone, and music.

martisanma likes this.
  8. I was thinking about adding a REDDI. It is highly praised in here. I've got a good Barefaced cab but a so-so Bugera head. But in the future it'll be more difficult to tell the wife I'm spending 800 bucks in a red box than in an amp. In the purchase there is for sure a Schertler STAT-B for the UB. So there would be still room for that Reddi or a head.

9. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    @martisanma, can you try out all of the Fender models you are interested in? What is more, is buying the ones you try a possibility?

10. It is not possible. There's a dealer that allows my ex boss to pay later but he won't even tell me where he's buying. And we live in the other side of the country. So it'll be a blind purchase. I don't know why some people lies and do things like that. At least I'm going to be paid after a very long wait.

Ghastly likes this.
  11. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Just saw a limited addition light weight jazz on the fender website.

Will have enough left over for a nice amp and or cabs

12. forrestlaw

forrestlaw

Jun 25, 2018
    Houston
    For $3000 there are other J style options such as Sadowsky Metro or Lakland. Nino Valenti will build one exact like you want and you might be able to get a Mike Lull.

Regarding weight concerns the Valenti 5er that I have is lighter than any Fender Elite 5er I've seen on Sweetwater.

dralionux likes this.
  13. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Fender pro 5

14. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Spend $2900 on a bass, and $100 on a better strap.

15. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    If this were Jeopardy, the question would be, “what is my answer when I don’t read the OP.

OP, I am not a fan of Fender active basses, the American Originals are what I would go for, great stuff!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    Midak and James Collins like this.
  16. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    People love to add in their 2¢.

17. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Don't know how available they are, but the MIJ Traditional 70's Jazz Bass has attracted my attention due to the tight radius neck and ash body. I'm sure the neck radius doesn't please everybody, but I would like one. If you are spending $3k, get a MIJ AND an American Professional V. If your purchaser has access to a Guitar Center, they are offering the solid rosewood necked Fender basses that are supposedly very nice. I can't speak for the Fenders, but my rosewood necked MusicMan basses are wonderful.

18. Paulabass

Paulabass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2017
    It's the first time that someone on a tangent has not said- Fender Rumble, so count it as a win.

19. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Good luck with that! Fender has so many series, I am a Fender guy and I can't keep up anymore! lol I just tell people I play Jazz basses and P-basses but I don't know exactly which series nor do I care. I do however think that I would be happy with pretty much any Jazz Bass.