Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Choosing an amp by friday

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rathervague, Nov 24, 2004.

1. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    Let me start by saying that I am the most indecisive person out there. I play a G&L L-2000 and I'd like to choose between the Yorkville YBA200 and the XS400t. I know I've posted lots of threads on this type of thing but has anyone compared these two or played a G&L through any of them? Please excuse my lack of decisivness. I have done searches and found quite a bit of information on each all over the web but haven't found anywhere close to me where I could try either of them out.

2. Well, isn't the tube head roughly costs as much as the 210 combo? If you don't have a cab already, then get the combo.

I think it would be cool to have tube head, so long as you have efficient cabs. Don't know if I would want that monster that matches the YBA. I know you can pick that head up for 550-600. But the combo can be had for less.

That bass would sound good through either. If you want more of a meat-and-potatoes sounds with old school, thick tube drive sound then go for it.

I would think that 210 combo would be nice too, especailly with an ext. cab.

I think I would get the tube amp and a nice 8 ohm cab from Dr. Bass or avatar and still keep the costs around 800 total. (so you can get another 8 later) (yes, I know the combo is a hybrid).

3. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
  4. you need to get quotes from local dealers. That is freakin retail. DON'T EVER PAY RETAIL. (Unless it is Mesa Boogie or Bose, cuz you aint got much choice.) Good rule of thumb is to pay 20 % over dealer costs. So if something costs 1,000, you know delaer paid 500. So a fair price would be 700 + shipping.

I use alan at www.crescentcitymusic.biz and he is not near me so I do mail order. I ordered Yorkville PA speakers not long ago, as well as an Eden combo with ext. cab. Could probably get it "dropped shipped" direct from distributor to you. That is what I do.

A lot of mom and pop stores would galdly beat retail and even the superstores.

5. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    I was actually planning on using the same place. Someone from this forum reffered me to them (perhaps it was you even). But yes, I just wasn't factoring that into my posts so as not to cause confusion.

6. Well I do not think I recommended them but make sure you get them to sell at a fair price, wherever you buy from. I know you can get that combo for 600 from lots of places. It is your money though. A 200 savings is significant to me. But I can't speak for everyone.

7. rathervague

rathervague

Oct 13, 2004
    Trust me, it is significant to me as well which is why I stated that I will be going through the same guy when I buy.