Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

choosing an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pvriesinga, Feb 10, 2004.

1. pvriesinga

pvriesinga

Jul 15, 2003
    Sarnia Ontario
    Hey,
    I am currently in the market for a bass head. This would be the first amp head for me. Would it be wise to go all the way and try and get a mesa 400+ or m2000, or just go with a solid state amp? I am open to any suggestions and comments about any amp within the $1000 range.

Thanks in advance,
    Phil Vriesinga

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    That depends. What are your musical styles? How loudly do you play? What kind of tone are you looking for? :confused:

3. pvriesinga

pvriesinga

Jul 15, 2003
    Sarnia Ontario
    I guess i should have given a little more info. I tend to play loud. I want a fairly punchy sound. I play a lot of tool, radiohead, a perfect circle, dredg, rage against the machine, etc... I currently do play in a band and plan on playing a lot of shows in the near future.

If you need more info, let me know

Phil Vriesinga

4. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    Do you want a great sounding head that is powerful, lightweight, and won't cost you an arm and a leg? Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II. 700 watts, 18 lbs, and only $649 brand new from Rik's Music. It may well be the last head you'll ever buy!!

http://www.riksmusic.com/gallien-krueger/gallien-krueger.htm

5. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    For that type of music I say spring for the 400+. I'd reccomend buying used. If it turns out to not be what you're after you can get your money back out of it easily. Just keep in mind these heads are LOUD. I used to play guitar in a band with two 100w halfstacks at full volume and our bass player used a 400+ with an 8x10. It was obnoxiously loud.

6. SWR SM-400, i play ratm and tool sometimes too and it sounds kickass. MY TONE IS KICKASS.

7. pvriesinga

pvriesinga

Jul 15, 2003
    Sarnia Ontario
    I went and looked at all of the suggestions. The only problem is that there is not a good gear dealer within 2 hours driving distance from here. I took a spin by a local dealer who i have close relations with (can get good deals) who have a used ampeg b4r. They want $630 for it but i could probably talk them down to $500 or so and probably get a nice cab while im at it. Does anyone have any insight on the B-4R? Pros or cons?? Again all input is appreciated.

Phil Vriesinga

8. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    B4R is a good head, but a bit expensive.

9. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    You may end up wanting to try out a Mesa MPULSE 600. In my opinion superior to the M2000 in sound and quality, and lighter than the 400+. Sounds like you are interested in Mesa Stuff. Go take a look at the one I have on sale in the classified section.