1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Choosing Bass Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rice, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Rice

Rice #bluecollarbassist Gold Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Hi TB friends!!
    First off, lemme say thanks for all the help with input on bass heads! I've narrowed it down to the EA Doubler II (in the mail), Mesa 800+ (buddy is lending me), and the DNA 1350 (never heard, but looks really good... Any user feedback??)

That said, on to picking cabs!!
    The front runners are EA and Bergantino, but I've recently discovered Barefaced and Epifani. There's a store in Redondo Beach that carries Epifani that I'm going to check out (along with Quilter) next monday. (The Epiphani Tweed series looks dope!! American Tweed Series Limited Edition Bass Speaker Cabinets) The Barefaced I'm only going based on specs alone, but if I can find a store withing driving distance, I'd love to actually hear them. (Their specs almost defy physics, so I'd love to hear from someone who's tried them.)
    Does anyone have input/opinions on any of these companies?? I'm pretty set on a one 1x12" and one 2x10" set up, unless I can find a wicked tiny/light 15" (Berg maybe?) Bergs have gotten more than enough thumbs up, plus I've been able to hear them for myself at Bass San Diego. (Kind of leaning toward the Reference series...) Everything else I'm basing on just specs alone...
    Anyhoot, I've attached a spread sheet of the top brands that have caught me eye. I'm thinking it may help someone else down the line who is in my position too, so let me know what you think. If there's anything I missed or can add to, or a brand you highly recommend, I'll update it! (Anything blank is just stuff I couldn't find online.)
    Thanks as always!
    -Rice

Attached Files:

2. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    There are no stores that carry Barefaced cabs in the US unless they are selling a used one. That said, you're in/near a large metro so there's a decent chance someone here at TB who has a Barefaced cab is not too far from you. You might be able to ply them with a 12 pack and get them to let you audition it. TBers are often very generous that way with their fellow TBers.

I love Barefaced cabs, both the 12's and the 10's. The designer doesn't necessarily recommend runing 10's and 12's together, but TBers have done so and said they liked the results.

Good luck! I doubt you can go wrong with any of your contenders.

Rice likes this.
  3. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    All depends on your budget. Everyone's ears are different, so if you play something you like, get it. But without getting into the "matched cab police" mode, unless you have a specific reason, you are better off finding a 112 or 210 you like, and getting a pair.

I second the motion to speak to others that place the cab you want. I've let a number of TB members try my Revsound cab, and have send several customers to them to buy. I know you are on the other coast, but the owner/builder, Dave Luke (@dawind99 here) is a great guy who makes a great product.

bherman, Plutonium244 and Rice like this.
  4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    buldog5151bass and Rice like this.
  5. Rice

Jul 17, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    So two 1x12"s or two 2x10"s?? I'm listening... The EA NL-112s and Barefaced Micros (or mini or whatever) 1x12s look pretty amazing...
    Budget is about $2k...
    Thanks!!

6. Rice

Jul 17, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    The RevSound specs are amazing too!!
    +1 for Rev.. ;)
    Thanks!!

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you are interested in Revsound, PM Dave and tell him what your needs/wants are. He will get you home well under your budget, with some great sounding and light cabs.

Rice likes this.
  8. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Rice likes this.
  9. Rice

Jul 17, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    I'm liking the Revs... I'll definitely hit up David.
    @Plutonium244 .... Wanna grab a beer?? Lol
    You're the first chime in in Bareface I've found in this site... What set up/configurations do you use?? Do they recommend not mixing speaker sizes or just multiple cabs altogether??
    Thanks!!

10. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    For more info and gig reports: Official Barefaced Bass Cab Club

11. Blissful_Lad

Blissful_Lad Banned

Feb 22, 2018
    LA/NYC
    DaveAceofBass and Rice like this.
  12. Rice

Jul 17, 2018
    San Diego, CA
  13. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Another RevSound fan here - top notch quality, not as pricey as some of the big-name boutique cabs. Did an outdoor gig last night with a RevSound 210 and it just sounded so good!!!

Stumbo likes this.
  14. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Barefaced live up to hype. Nuff said. Super Midget and BB2 for me.

Rice likes this.
  15. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    EA are good too

Rice and REV like this.
  16. Take your amp and bass to play through everything around you. Buy the one or 2 that you like. Gig them for a while and then decide what it is you want to hear from a cab. You need a reference to determine if one, all, any Of the modern cabs and the differences between Bergantino, Mesa, Genzler, barefaced, audio kinesics, rev sound, Epifani, low phat, mike Arnapol, etc... Hit it for you.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Rice likes this.
  17. Koog

Koog Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Central Iowa USA
    I have played many different rigs in 55 years of fooling aound with guitar and mostly bass. A lot of stage time has occurred during these years.

I've been exploring the class D and neo world for bass for about 10 years now, and got on a new rig search two years ago. I took quite a bit of time looking over specs and comparing with other things I could buy. I tried and resold several rigs. I discovered Bergantino about six months ago. I ended up buying the Berg HG 410. When it was delivered, I spent maybe 5 - 10 hours finding the right sound for me using this cab. Yes....I'm a tone freak. Honestly....I now have the sound I've heard in my head for many years, but could never find in any head/cab combination.

A few days after buying the HG 410, I bought the Bergantino Forte head. In my world, to my ears, while other heads sound great through this cab, there is nothing like the two of them together. When Jim Bergantino figured the engineering out for these components, he created the match made in heaven, so to speak....at least in my opinion.

Result....two of my other three rigs are for sale. I can't see myself playing anything else. The one not for sale is a practice amp, and it may go too because I'm using the Berg to practice most of the time now. I just can't get past this sound.

Bottom line ....if you have the budget, look very seriously at Bergantino.

Hope this is helpful.

Koog

rodl2005, Rice and rmayer like this.
  18. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    I'm currently running an EA Doubler into an Epifani 410UL. Sounds great, is loud and is only 60 pounds for both.:thumbsup:

Jim Carr and Rice like this.
  19. REV

REV

Jun 18, 2006
    I currently use Bergantino and EA. These are my observations; the Bergs are smooth, the EA are a little more aggressive sounding. Either will serve you well but as others have said it's best if you play them before you make a decision. BTW my heads are an Eden 550 and a Markbass LMII. Both are great and have served me well over the years. All the cabs you've mentioned in your posts should do the job but the only way to really know will be to play them... and they will sound different when you gig with your band than they do in the store.

TAZ and Rice like this.
  20. Rice

Jul 17, 2018
    San Diego, CA
    Thanks @REV ! That may have clinched it for me. I tend to err on the aggressive/bitey bass tone, so I would prefer something on that side of the tracks, or at least a cabinet that could handle dirt when I needed it. The Bergs sounded SO good and clear, I was thinking how can I get a little more dirt in there (without a pedal).
    Thanks!

REV likes this.