1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Choosing between two Hartke Kickbacks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gladowsky, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Gladowsky

Gladowsky

Apr 30, 2007
    Iowa
    Hello

I need some help deciding between two Hartke Kickback combo. amps -- from anyone that has experienced them in a gig setting. The combo. units under consideration are:

Hartke Kickback 15 120 Watt 1x15" Bass Combo
    (not many reviews)

Hartke Kickback 12 1x12" 120-Watt Bass Combo
    (has received very favorable reviews)

Which one is better for the following applications:

- 5-string bass. I use the 5-string more for efficiency (two octave range in a smaller area) than for the extended pitch effect (although I use this sometimes only for last-note-of-the-song effects). I actually use a D-tuner on my 5th string to get a low A or low Bb only for final effect. That effect is mostly carried by the FOH subs.

- Behind-the-back thump effect while I use IEMs (they have some leakage so should work out to hear the cabinet).

- Better EQ and sound for classic rock (for band mates)

Thanks for your help. I'm hoping to get to GC to try one out if they carry them.

2. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    I use the Hartke kb [ A70 ? ] that is 70 watts with the 12 with a Sad 5 & SR5 for rehearsals and home practice. It's a nice sounding combo , does the low B very well.

3. Same here on the a70 with b3 and perfect for home practice and moderate rehearsals. Has a xlr direct out so pa support is possible to gig. Awesome limiter and 7 band graphic. If no pa the xtra 80 watts of the 15 KB will be huge. Diggin the a70 for my needs. ImageUploadedByTalkBass1381250803.294091.

4. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    I'm pretty sure the 15" kickback has been out for years!!!!!!!
    ?????

5. I've had the a70 for 9 yrs and pretty sure the 15 was also available then if not shortly after

6. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    They have both been out for ages. I have the kickback 15 and have heard the 12 in shows.

I imagine the 15 has better extended low end but I could be wrong. The 12 is also plenty punchy. I think they have the same EQ.

7. i have the 15 and love it plenty of everything for most med to small gig ive done and even just as monitor and di into the house for larger...

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Bigger spkr equals bigger volume.

9. harleyboy

harleyboy

Jan 8, 2007
    Do the 15...I have the 12 ...which I have had for 15 years!
    Played through a buddy of mines 15 many times and it will out do he 12! Both are excellent and contain the same amp configuration...identical other than speaker and cabinet size!

10. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Do you agree that the 15 has better lows?

11. oddeotek

oddeotek

Mar 28, 2010
    Sammamish, WA
    I own both, a Kickback 12 and 2 Kickback 15s. The amps are identical and the only difference is the speaker. The 15 has better bass response, though. I run both of the Kickback 15s onstage and have been very pleased with the sound at moderately loud club levels. I use the built in direct out in larger venues and have never had a problem in the last 6 years.

12. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Since you own a 5-string bass, I would say go with the kickback 15. bass combo amps with 15-inch speakers handles low b strings very well and absorbs a lot of sounds too. I use to own a hartke a100 and it has a 15-inch speaker. I play 5-string basses and the a100 handles 5-string basses very well. right now I plan to get a fender rumble 150 real soon.

13. harleyboy

harleyboy

Jan 8, 2007
    Yes I do!

14. topo morto

topo morto

Mar 22, 2010
    Lloegyr
    Cool... glad I have the right one! :)