Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

choosing cab(s)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gr8estbassist, Nov 24, 2004.

1. gr8estbassist

gr8estbassist Guest

Oct 9, 2004
    South East
    hello,
    i have a ashdown mag 300 and i need some speakers to go with it. i am interested in dr. bass cabs. i was originally going to go with 1 4ohm 2x12 cab but now i am thinking of getting 1 8ohm 1x15 cab and 1 8ohm 2x10 cab for versatility. i play hard rock, classic rock, emo, and alternative. what do you think of this idea and do you have any better suggestions?

thanks,
    zack

2. Figjam has the same head with an avatar 212.

3. Raven

Raven

Nov 14, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    The 1x15 and 2x10 work well together, plus you have two seperate cabs so depending on the venue, you have a choice of what to take. Also that combination will move about 1 1/2 times as much air as a 2x12 cab...... louder... :D

4. gr8estbassist

gr8estbassist Guest

Oct 9, 2004
    South East
    thanks,
    anyone else?

5. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    The 4ohm 2x12 is a problem solver for those who can only afford to purchase one cab and need it to do it all. If you can afford it, get the 1x15 and 2x10. It too will do it all and can be separated for smaller jobs, practice etc...Nice taste in cabs by the way! :D

6. gr8estbassist

gr8estbassist Guest

Oct 9, 2004
    South East
    yeah, if he is trying to compete with the big guys he must be making some good cabs!

7. gr8estbassist

gr8estbassist Guest

Oct 9, 2004
    South East
    i have seen avatar, and from what i have read dr. bass was better.?

8. gr8estbassist

gr8estbassist Guest

Oct 9, 2004
    South East
    what cab should i buy first? the 2x10 or the 1x15. i only have money for one right now.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I don't know about being better?! I'd put them in the same class. Avatar has the 'rat fur' carpeting and Dr. Bass has a sprayed on polymer coating. They each use the same speakers from Eminence. Dr. Bass does offer the option of having rack spaces built into the cabs.

10. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If I were in your shoes I would personally get the 1x15 first. I would sacrifice the highs before the low end any day of the week.