Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Choosing custom features - Need Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Argonaut, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Argonaut

Argonaut

Jun 12, 2002
    :confused:Hey! Need some help w/ getting plans together for my custom bass. I need to know my string spacing; do I just measure from saddle to saddle on the bridge? I think my Ibanez 5 string is 5/8 inches, and my Fender 4 is 11/16 inches. Does that sound right? Also, I wanna use Bartolinis, I'm thinking two big soapbars (six string fretless) with 3 band active EQ....Any suggestions or preferences, as I'm pretty outta touch with electronics? I've played Bart's a few times, awesome sound. Any input is appreciated! Thanks from a newby!

2. I'm gonna move this to "Basses" since it seems that most of these types of posts originate there anyway. I'm also changing the title to help out with responses.

3. Argonaut,
    It sounds like you need to go play a few fretless 6 string basses to know what you want before you plunk down lots of money on a custom bass that may or may not suit you. I wouldn't necessarily use the same specs from your current bass, uness you are confident that those measurements are right for you.
    Many 6s use four string or 19mm/0.75" string spacing at the bridge (center of string to center of string), but 18mm and narrower is also common. The Cirrus uses 17mm spacing, MTD is 18mm (I think).
    Barts are great, but others are also available.