Choosing EMGs for MIM jazz - HELP !!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BoogieNight, Jul 21, 2001.

1. BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    As my profile says I live in Brazil, and it's a lot more difficult (and expensive) to get good gear here.

Looking for replacement pickups for my MIM jazz I finally found EMGs. I didnt see them, but the guy said to me it´s the JV-LJV model, with exposed polepieces.

I took a look at and there it says there are two models for jass bass: the "J" and the "JV" (Vintage?).

Can you guys help-me giving your opinion about these two??

YES, I know both are active, I´m planning to run without active preamp at first. YES, I did a lot of searches at TB and no one seems to mention wich type of EMG they have!

Thank you !! :)
  2. BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Nobody helps me... ;)

C´mon, I´d just want your opinion about the different models of EMGs for Jazz Bass...

3. I wish I could help, but I used Dimarzio's instead of EMG's. I put them on 2 cheap Jazzes and love them. Musician's friend has the pair for like $90. Passive humbucking split-coils. Available in black or cream, as you can see below.

4. jwymore

Jul 26, 2001
    Portland, OR
    The exposed polepiece units are the Vintage ones. They have exposed pole pieces because they are trying to get a vintage look (like the old Fenders) and they are also wound for a more Vintage sound.

From my experience, anything you update to in the MIM will be an improvement. The MIM uses the same PUP in both the neck and bridge position so they both sound similar and not that great compared to a good replacement PUP.

You will also most likely need to trim the pickguard a bit and possibly the PUP covers to make them fit in the MIM because of the same PUP in both positions thing. Standard J PUP's are a different size for neck and bridge. Mods should be minor though...

I mentioned this in other threads, but I have an MIM with a J-Retro preamp that I put Duncan "Hot Stacks" in and the improvement was enormous.
  5. BoogieNight

Jun 15, 2001
    Thank you guys.

I just received my JVs EMGs today. Lets see what a improvement it will be.