1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Choosing first amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mattress, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Mattress

Mattress

Jul 31, 2012
    Sorry for yet another 'which is best' post.
    Anyways, i'm getting my first ever bass amp. Due to my location I can't easily get to a music store, so i'll have to order online. Due to limited funds i've narrowed it down to 3 combo's. I've had a look at reviews online but i'm still unsure.
    Ampeg BA-112
    Warwick BC-150
    Ibanez Promethean-P3115

I'm after ease of use and intend to play rock, grunge type music.
    Any input would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    No experience with the others but I think the BA112 is the sweet spot of the Ampeg BA line. There are louder combos out there but the BA112 has such great tone that it makes it a real winner.

3. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    If I could have had the Ibanez Promethean P3115 as my first amp I'd have been able to gig.

I like the Ampeg but realistically, it's not going to be able to compete with a drummer and to a lesser extent, the same issue is up with the Warwick.

If you can save for longer for your second bass amp (you'll need one sooner if you intend to do anything more than mid-volume rehearsals) then you'll be able to get something much nicer...or put some cash to other things.