Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

choosing first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by krimintzas, Oct 8, 2004.

1. krimintzas

krimintzas

Oct 8, 2004
    Hello!
    I'm a guitarist who wants to be a bassist! But i know very few about basses. I would like a 5 string versatile reliable but with low price (under 400-450$). After doing a little search i found these:

yamaha rbx375
    cort action 5

and these a little more expensive
    cort curbow 5-string
    cort c5
    ibanez srx305
    warwick rockbass streamer 5-string

I heard from some people that active basses are more versatile from passive so i probably go for an "cheap" active

Any suggestions?

Thanx

Dimitris, Greece

2. Rhythmalism

Rhythmalism

Sep 25, 2004
    That warwick rockbass or a middle of the road ibanez would probably treat you well. Wow, haven't seen that model from yamaha yet, looks interesting, it would probably rock too.

3. The active basses are more versatile due to the onboard preamp. Out of those, I'd say go for the warwick or ibanez. Their a little more on the expensive side (to you), but they are better quality. Also go and try out as many as you can and get a feel for one that you like and think sounds good to YOU. You are the main factor in what bass is good for YOU.

4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'd get the Yamaha. I always recommend a PJ as a first bass.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, Squid, you'd be reccomending the wrong bass then. The RBX375 has humbuckers.

I'd still go with the Yammy, I really enjoy the upper-reaches of the RBX line (the 375 is about the same as the 775 but with big MusicMan style humbuckers instead of regular ol' soapbars).

6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Yeah, I know. I was just saying I'd pick the yamaha just off that list. I guess the context was lost on the internet.

7. krimintzas

krimintzas

Oct 8, 2004
    Thanks for the replies!
    So, rbx375 is still on the top of my list followed by the ibanez. It's true that it made a good impression to me from the first view...

Keep searching...