Choosing my first cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Chancellor, Mar 25, 2003.

1. After playing for 6 months or so through my Peavey Microbass I thought I'd like to move on and actually buy something that may qualify as a 'rig'. So I went shopping:

4U Moulded rack case
    1U sliding rack tray
    FMR Really Nice Compressor
    SansAmp Bass Driver DI
    400W Power amp (2x200@4ohms)

Now all I need is a cab to match. To keep in with the cheapness of the whole thing I'd like a lower priced cab that'll do the whole rock thing (not really a funk guy). Some cabs in my price range are Ashdown MAG series, Peavey, Hartke and probably quite a few more. I'd like to stay under £300 too. Portability is a factor too but I'd also like something 'substantial' sounding, so maybe I could strike a compromise. :meh:

2. What speaker configuration are you looking for in the cab?
  3. Thats one thing I'm not sure about. In my price range there seems to only be 2x10, 4x10 and 1x15.

I think a 410 would probably be overkill; if I got one of the others there's always the choice of adding another later.
  4. If you're gonna buy a cab, buy something that is going to do you for some time to come. I'd look at a 4x10 Avatar.
  5. Yep, I think if you're doing the rock thing you're going to want a 4x10 sooner than later too.

Although I've never plugged into one, there seem to be an awful lot of bassists playing Hartke cabs around here, and they pretty much always sound great. This would definitely be in your price range, I think the Transporter series is ~$400 and the BXL series is $500-$600 (Cdn).
  6. Emprov

Mar 19, 2003
    I've heard mixed reviews on the Hartke Transporters. I've heard very few (if any) bad reviews on the Avatars. I don't have an Avatar but everyone who buys them seems to swear by them. Also, Dave (the owner) is supposed to be a really amazing guy. Check them out!
  7. Yah if I were going to buy Hartke I'd opt for the BXL over the Transporters for sure unless money was a huge issue. The problem I see with Avatars is you're going to get killed on shipping to the UK.

Obviously go into a store and start tying out different setups to see what you like, although I'm sure anything would sound good after playing through a combo.
  8. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yea, you are going to have to listen to a few cabs and see what you like. If you are playing rock in a loud band and you will only have one cab, then either a 2x15 or 4x10 will get the volume you need. I use a 2x10 and a 1x15 to get enough volume to keep up with the drums.

The only thing about a 4x10 is that it may be hard to move if you don't have a large enough vehicle.
  9. Transport shouldn't really be a problem; 410 in back seat, rack in boot(trunk) and bass on passenger seat. I see what you mean about volume, more speaker surface = more air pushed etc.

When all of my stuff arrives I'll take a trip out to try a few cabs. Thanks.
  10. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    This is kind of off topic but do you know if the Bass Driver has enough of an output to drive the power amp to full output?

Any commercially available bass cab should be able to take the full might of your power amp. I guess you should follow your ears and listen to your back:)
  11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    It all depends on the bass you are using and the power amp. The SABDDI is not designed to be a preamp, but many people have been able to use it as one.