1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Choosing new cab stand alone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ant0nin0, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Ant0nin0

Ant0nin0

Jan 3, 2017
    Palermo, Italy
    Hi guys, I need help choosing my new cab: I bought a new head (GR Bass 700, an italian handmade head, 700W at 4 ohm) and now I'm looking for only one cab to use in every situation. I play pop in medium-big pubs, wedding parties and outdoor gigs on stage (in these situations I have always used DI to PA system).

My budget is 500$, I need at least 400 W of power and low weight. The cabs I'm considering are: GK cx210, Tc Electonic k-212 and Markbass Traveler 121 Ninja.

Can you help me decide which cab top buy? Did someone try this cabsor own one of them? Have you some other cabs to suggest me?
    Thanks a lot!

2. Why just 400 watts on the cab, with that much amp?
    You're going to have to pretty careful about not blowing out the speaker(s).
    I guess as long as you D.I. to a PA, and only use your cab as the stage monitor you might be OK.

And if you aren't sure about it, there is more than one way to skin a watt.
    By that, I mean you need to pay attention to what words or letters come AFTER watts.
    RMS, Peak, Program, Music, Yadda yadda. Be sure you are comparing the same type of watts for the speaker and the amp.

3. Ant0nin0

Ant0nin0

Jan 3, 2017
    Palermo, Italy
    I will certainly buy 8 ohm cab so the head will deliver about 350-400 W. I think that 400W is the minimum value so that head and cab work well and avoid damaging the speakers.

Often amp companies write in specs only one W value, I think that usually that value is RMS. The tree cabs i'm considering have respectively 400 W RMS (GK), 400 W (TC Electronic, i think RMS, the website didn't specifiy it), 800 W RMS (Markbass, in this case there would be no problems).

Are my arguments correct?

I forgot to write that the MB cab that i would buy is second-hand (for new the price is higher). Sincerely this cab is the one I prefer but I'm afraid that only one speaker is limiting. Can you say something about this?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  4. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Tone is very subjective, so with that said I will add that I am a big TC and GK fan. Not knowing what your volume needs are, I will say that the Markbass will probably be the quietest of the 3 followed by the GK and the TC being the loudest based on cone area.

I own 2 K212 cabs and just one gets very close to 410 volume comparing it to a GK NEO 410. 2 together can pretty much cover anything. It is a deep yet snappy sounding cab. I have no experience with the CX210, but GK does put out some nice sounding cabs these days. And all the Markbass cabs I have tried were a bit wooly with a mid hump that you cannot EQ out. Some like it, some don't. But that can be said of pretty much any cab.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just get a cab you like the sound of, quit worrying about myths that idiots on the net spew, and use your ears and good judgment.

MrLenny1, Ampslut, revroy and 2 others like this.
  6. Ant0nin0

Ant0nin0

Jan 3, 2017
    Palermo, Italy
    First of all, thanks to everybody for the replies!

Yes, I totally agree with what you said. Unfortunally I can only try the Markbass cab so i can noy jugdge by myself the other cabs.

I need information like these. The head is very transparent, I would like the cab not to much color the sound of the bass: has the k212 this feature? Besides is the k212 too muddy? I need a cab not too much muddy but more defined.

Tomorrow I'll try Markbass cab so I can evaluate better.

7. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    No, the K212 is not muddy at all. It is a very clear, defined, articulate cab. You could say it is slightly scooped with quite a bit low end and a very snappy top end. But muddy or boomy it is not. I really like it a lot.

8. Ant0nin0

Ant0nin0

Jan 3, 2017
    Palermo, Italy
    Today I tried the MB cab. Really beautiful cab: punchy and big sound but i think the single speaker could be limitant in my situation. So I like it but i think it isn't the right choise.

So is this cab scooped in middle? Does it have less middle than other 2x12? Anyway I suppose that it has enough middle to not make the sound confused.
    I think I'll buy this TC k 212

9. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    Not so much as scooping out the mids, more of a slight boost in the low end with a snappy top end. When I originally tried it at my local GC, one of the employees there was surprised to find that the cab sounded much clearer than the Markbass 210 and 115 cabs they had there. So there is that. At that same time I also tried out a GK NEO 212 and that cab also sounded really nice and a little more even, but both cabs were very clear and articulate.

As I stated earlier, I am a TC and GK fan and I don't think you could go wrong with either of those, but if you liked the sound of the Markbass, you may want to check out some of their other cabs as well.

10. cheechi

cheechi

Mar 10, 2015
    What about the 212 Markbass? Subway something I think? How does that compare with the TC 212?

11. Ant0nin0

Ant0nin0

Jan 3, 2017
    Palermo, Italy
    Based on your opinions this cab sia a good choise, good quality and good sound. I'm more and more convinced to take it.
    Could you tell me where they are made? I can't find this information anywhere.

Unfortunately my budget is too low to buy a MB cab (how i said i found only 121 Ninja cab): if I had the money maybe I wound buy a MB cab because I'm sure I like the sound while I could buy TC without ever having tried them.
    Luckily I like vaious types of sounds and I easily adapt myself, it is not much the gear that I hate and I can not play!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  12. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    $500 is 400 Euro. Can your budget stretch to 700 Euro? You could buy a Barefaced Super Compact, IMO one of the best 1 cab solutions out there. It's a 112 that sounds like a 212.

If your budget is fixed I'd suggest you look around for a good used cab. You'll get a much better cab for your money than you will by buying a new cab. What is the second hand gear market like in Sicily?

13. Ant0nin0

Ant0nin0

Jan 3, 2017
    Palermo, Italy
    I've never heard Barefaced Super Compact, I think it is not in Italy.

If I had a higher budget maybe i would buy a cab that I can try (new or second hand). The real problem is that i can't try none of the cabs I could buy with my budget. Maybe I could spend 500 euros...

No, in Italy we don't have something like pawnshops, you can buy used gear in music store or by people that sell their gear in some specific website. I don't want to buy used gear that i can't try, the two music stores of my city, at the moment, haven't used cab and the only used cab that i found is the Markbass 121 Ninja.

14. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Hi Ant0nin0, I see you are in a difficult position, but you can order a Barefaced cab for delivery to your door. Unfortunately I think it will be more than your budget. Check their website.

What price are GR cabs in Italy?

If a 112 will cover your volume requirements then the Ninja cab you mention might be worth it, if it a good price.

15. Ant0nin0

Ant0nin0

Jan 3, 2017
    Palermo, Italy
    I saw the wabsite and yes, unfortunately they are out of budget.

GR cabs cost about 800-900 euros but I'm in contact with the producer and tomorrow I'll know if he has any used cab to sell that comes close to my budget. Gr are really great product, I bought the head GR700 (old series, used) and it is
    unbelievable!

I'm afraid that the volume is not enough and that only one speaker is limiting. At the moment I'm not going to buy another cab to match, so I'll use it for a while and I do not know if this could be a problem.

16. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I would consider the Markbass NY122 cab. Only about $75 more than the ninja 121 and twice the spkr! You'll get more volume/presence.

17. Ant0nin0

Ant0nin0

Jan 3, 2017
    Palermo, Italy
    The ninja 121 that i could buy is second hand and it is 400 euros. The Ninja 122 is 600 euros and it's out of budget.

18. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Understood, but you should consider 2x12s if you can find the extra money. The output is dramatically more than a single 12".

19. Ant0nin0

Ant0nin0

Jan 3, 2017
    Palermo, Italy
    It's true for this reason I'm considering the TC K-212 that probably hasn't the construction quality of Markbass but it is 430 euros... Yes, I'm really really uncertain lol

SJan3 likes this.
  20. SJan3

SJan3

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    I hope you find what will work for you!