Choosing one of three basses from their weight

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nighthound, Dec 29, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Nighthound

Nighthound

Dec 18, 2015
    NYC
    Being either Maple or Basswood bodies, what would you guys choose the heaviest, the middle weight or the heaviest?

2. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Never heard of a maple body, but my back and shoulders prefer light basses.

fretter and obimark like this.
  3. Nighthound

Nighthound

Dec 18, 2015
    NYC
  4. mark beem

mark beem Wait, how does this song start again?? Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Lightest for me, thanks.

5. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Oh ok. I'm used to maple in the sense of eastern hard rock maple which is very dense and heavy. Havent been in the market for awhile but this appears to be soft maple. Probably much lighter...as well as easily dentable.

6. Nighthound

Nighthound

Dec 18, 2015
    NYC
  7. Andii Syckz

Andii Syckz

Jan 2, 2011
    Montreal
    I'm still young (21 yrs old), & i voted heaviest, just cause i love having weight while i play. It's a good feeling for me to feel something dig into me while i dig into it! But i've got a few basses that are light-mid weight & i'm sure as i get older, i'll appreciate having them around still

8. Icemanaroonie

Icemanaroonie

Sep 6, 2015
    Delaware
    I'd go light so I can flail the bass around around on stage while still playing it.

9. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    due to shoulder damage, i have no choice but to choose the lightest every time.

10. Logic_11

Logic_11

Nov 22, 2015
    Atlantic Ocean
    Ive been playing heavy basses. My main bass weighs 14.4 lbs

DwaynieAD and kodiakblair like this.
  11. Logic_11

Logic_11

Nov 22, 2015
    Atlantic Ocean
    You've gotten shoulder damage? how?

12. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Haha, yes it wasnt that long ago that i hauled around old svt heads and fridges just bc of the last 5% of tone i was seeking. I have old fender basses that are 11 lbs and up, as well as older ones that are much much lighter. For that reason i usually play old old fenders...or relatively new light basses. And always micro heads now.

13. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    a combination of weakening the shoulder by playing heavy basses and larger boied acoustic guitars for years and a slip and fall where i caught myself with my right arm while falling really fast and tore several muscles around the rotator cuff while also extending the shoulder so it came partway out of the socket. i couldn't play for some time except ubasses and a washburn rover (they're so small you don't lift your arm at all). it's improved a lot, but due to scar tissue and years of hyper-extension, doctors don't feel it's ever going to be 100%, although i am trying to strengthen it a bit with light exercise.

still, i'm stoked to be able to play a mikro or a jag at this point, and have owned a number of very light, short scale basses in the last couple years :)

14. LowEndOperative

LowEndOperative ✓ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Michigan
    If tone and playability wasn't a factor, I'd pick the lightest.

15. Has to be heavy for me. Late 40s and last week got a 7lb Peavey,within half hour I noticed strain in my neck and left arm. Switched over to 11lb jazz an was OK. Muscles that are normally supporting the bass weren't working hard enough is all I can think of and I'm not going to hurt myself just to play a light bass.

Both my T-40s are 12lb so I'm good to go.

16. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    I have a 10lb Maple 78 Jazz ... so .. lightest works best for me..

17. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    I had a Jazz V Deluxe that I loved but it weighed 13.5 pounds. I kept it for about seven years and finally decided I had enough. I now try to keep my basses under 10 pounds.

Assuming the sound and playablity of the three basses you're talking about are comparable, I'd go for the lightest one.

noahw1 likes this.
  18. rufus.K

rufus.K Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    I'm 39, and I haven't weighed a bass yet.

lfmn16, Camaro and birminghambass like this.
  19. I don't choose basses based only on weight. But then again I also DON'T choose basses based on weight. Capisce?

20. Nighthound

Nighthound

Dec 18, 2015
    NYC
    if all there basses where the same except for the weight, which would have the best tone? The heavier one would be more dense?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021