Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Choosing pickups for the bass I will build...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zebra, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Hello. My first time posting here at talkbass, I usually hang around Harmony Central, but felt like coming here for a change.
    A forumite inspired me to undertake a homemade bass project, so now I'm thinking about what pickups to go with.
    So here's the situtation: a fretless bass and I want a two pickup configuration (one neck, and one slanted at the bridge, kinda like a Warwick Thumb) that will give me from a dark upright-y tone to a bright Jaco-y tone. I also want it in pan configuration as opposed to v/v.
    I'm thinking some form of humbuckers and having coil splitters for both ( I don't know jack about coil splitting, so I don't know if that depends on the pickup at all). I was also thinking bartolini, but I have no experience with that, andthat was just what popped in my head.
    I want some growl, but I don't want too aggressive, more just a clear singing tone.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

it's hard to go wrong with Barts. There are plenty of reviews on Barts that can found from a google search. I've had little experience with their side by side HB's (as opposed to Jazz stacks) but often their J's are hard wired in series (2 leads) so if you're interested in splitting coils, you'll need a 4 lead pickup. Another thing to be aware of is that splitting the HB will yield half the output and rarely do split HB's sound like true single J's (stereotypical jazz pup). The Duncan Classic Stacks are the only exception I've ran across. But they don't need to be split to get that tone and they don't sound much like humbuckers - they sound like single J's except no hum.