Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Choosing Seymour's over EMG's. Right choice?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rob, Jul 27, 2004.

1. rob

rob

Mar 26, 2004
    I am in the process of choosing Seymour’s SJB-3 Quarter-Pound over EMG’s PJ set. I’m currently using a fender jazz aerodyne and looking for a very tight tone sound as well as a defined sound and was recommended the Seymour’s over EMG’s. I have heard the EMG’s and I was obviously very impressed with the sound. I do realise that a failing sound is caused from the weakest link (i.e. amp set up and so on) Are the any views on either pick ups that could help me with my decision.

Thanks
    Rob

2. jeebo

jeebo

Jul 27, 2004
    Hi rob
    Now I have EMG PJ set on my ibanez sr1300. They sound GREAT!
    But I also heard Basslines ( or Seymour if you like) and they I great too!
    The question is which sound do you like! EMG is ultra modern sound like Victor Wooten's sound (he uses EMG PJ on his Fodera)
    Seymour's are also modern but more natural, warmer and more universal than emg!
    If you get any of these pups you wont make mistake!
    Good luck!

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Both brands are excellent pickups. The do each sound distinctly different. If you have heard the EMGs and like the sound, then I would go with those. Personally, I prefer Seymour Duncan pickups over EMGs, but that is my personal taste.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yup, what Bob said. It's about what sound you're looking for, the SD in this case will be a much beefier sound - the EMG more hi-fi.

5. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    It quite depends on the rest of your setup, you mentioned a weakest link issue. Even you cables can give you huge differences...so may be you could tell us something about your stuff?