1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Choosing speaker cabs to maximize headroom and volume.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fireincairo, Sep 4, 2008.

1. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    In the guitar world, we know there are certain speakers that are stiffer and color (read as distort) less than others. For example, the Celestion Greenback is well-known for coloring early and offering speaker distortion easily to your tone.

Are there any hard and fast rules in terms of speaker coloration and bass rigs? Do 10 inch speakers break up quicker than 15 inch ones? Will a 4x10 break up less than a 2x10?

If you were running a 120 watt tube head, what two cabs would you use together to maximize headroom and volume?

2. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    I don't know too much about how break up modes occour.

I think part of it has to do with the materials used.

As far as I understand it, the larger the cone the lower the speaker will have radial and concentric breakup modes. Some of this has to do with surface inconsistency and lack of ridgidity. Thats why smaller drivers are better for cleaner higher frequencies.

That said I think the Mass and density of the material used will also have its own inherent modes where the material itself oscillates, so certain notes and harmonic multiples get excited. Easily.

Antone-

3. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Speaker is hard surface, air is soft, so a good horn loaded design will act as an acoustic transformer between the speaker and air and lower the distortion while increasing the sensitivity. When you get up into the mids, cones are smaller, stiffer, and speaker and ear sensitivity are higher. A good combo is to use a folded horn for bass, and many vertically aligned, closely spaced drivers for mids. You won't see this often because horns are much harder to design and build.