1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Choosing Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Rob Hunter, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Hi there. I have two basses that I wish to restring for two different purposes. I'm trying to determine the most appropriate strings and I'd be grateful for any responses.

Bass No. 1 has a carved top. It's currently strung with Obligatos (which have been fine), but I'd like to dedicate this bass to orchestral playing. What's the most "orchestral-sounding" arco string? Which one's the "least scratchy" and easiest to bow? I'm thinking about Flexocors. (Yeah, I'm just a jazzer trying to more playing!)

Bass No. 2 is plywood. It currently has Helicore Hybrids on it and it's used in my community band and jazz band (so I need a string good for pizz and arco). Although I like the Helicores for pizz, they don't cut it for arco. I'm thinking about Corellis, which I used several years ago. The thing about Corellis is that I don't remember them being particularly great with the bow. Perhaps it's because I used the lightest gauge (medium?) and now I'm thinking about going up a step ("high tension"?).

Is it just me, or is it that Corellis are difficult to figure out by gauge. I think I used the 370M and now I want the 370TX, but who knows? I worry that the TX may be of a higher tension than, say, the Obligatos¬Ö.

2. Two basses, you must have a big house! I presently have my bass strung with Euronsonic 'Lights' but am thinking about switching to 'Ultra Lights', any body tryed them yet?

3. Original Flexocor, Flexocor, Kolstein Varicore, Jargar, Thomastik Dominants.