Choosing Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Rob Hunter, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Hi there. I have two basses that I wish to restring for two different purposes. I'm trying to determine the most appropriate strings and I'd be grateful for any responses.

Bass No. 1 has a carved top. It's currently strung with Obligatos (which have been fine), but I'd like to dedicate this bass to orchestral playing. What's the most "orchestral-sounding" arco string? Which one's the "least scratchy" and easiest to bow? I'm thinking about Flexocors. (Yeah, I'm just a jazzer trying to more playing!)

Bass No. 2 is plywood. It currently has Helicore Hybrids on it and it's used in my community band and jazz band (so I need a string good for pizz and arco). Although I like the Helicores for pizz, they don't cut it for arco. I'm thinking about Corellis, which I used several years ago. The thing about Corellis is that I don't remember them being particularly great with the bow. Perhaps it's because I used the lightest gauge (medium?) and now I'm thinking about going up a step ("high tension"?).

Is it just me, or is it that Corellis are difficult to figure out by gauge. I think I used the 370M and now I want the 370TX, but who knows? I worry that the TX may be of a higher tension than, say, the Obligatos….
  2. Two basses, you must have a big house! I presently have my bass strung with Euronsonic 'Lights' but am thinking about switching to 'Ultra Lights', any body tryed them yet?
  3. Original Flexocor, Flexocor, Kolstein Varicore, Jargar, Thomastik Dominants.