choosing the right bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nickname, Feb 21, 2006.

1. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    Now i know that it truley comes down to taste, and that I should get a guitar that i feel comfortable with. But there are MILLIONS of guitars to choose from, so what I would like to do, is ask for your help in narrowing my choices down so im not wandering around like an idiot. If we can narrow them down by answering some questions, I can go and try them all out.

I'll start with basic questions, but if there are more please ask.

Playing Style: picking with heavy pick
    Genre: mostly rock/punk
    Desired tone: I like to be able to hear my high tones, while at the same time getting quite a rumble. With the guitar i have now (fender jazz - mark hoppus bass...stupid choice) I can get high tones but thats just it. no knobs to adjust, there for it lacks some umph!
    Influences/Bass that i thought sound good: perfect circle, muse, nofx, gatsby's american dream, bloc party, blink, green day, metric, modest mouse.

I'm currently running a Mesa/Boogie Bass 400+ into a Mesa/Boogie RoadReady.

I enjoyed the feel of my current guitar, it just has no flexability in tone and its ugly as hell.

any other questions that will help?
  2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I think you want a P bass. Maybe a P special, so you can keep using a jazz neck?

ps: it helps people respond around here if you don't call it a 'guitar

pps: Metric effin rocks
  3. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    Well, I have the Mark Hoppus Percision bass. and I hate it. the tone that is, AND the color.

So you think i should continue on the P-Bass'es. any specific companies that do the best? or just fendeR?

ps: yes metric rocks! good show live! shes a hottie!

pps: ever listen to muse?
  4. This sounds like a job for a Rickenbacker 4003! ;)

You'll definitely hear your highs with a Rick!

Plus the two pickups with individual volume and tone controls will give you the ability to tailor your sound.

Ricks are :cool:

5. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    i guess the next question is.. whats a good place to buy one? i could try one in the store and then buy online if its cheaper that way.
  6. kirin

Jan 11, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Knobs are overrated.
  7. nickname

Jan 22, 2005
    and why is that? wouldnt you want to set your toned to a desired sound rather than leaving it all up to the pickups and amp? as far as i know some tones u just cannot achieve with just the amp, unless its set on the bass according to the pickups installed.