Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Choosing your words wisely.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, May 21, 2003.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Maybe this should be under miscellaneous, but it will get more attention here initially.

When starting a thread or posting on an existing one, it may be more constructive to choose your words more carefully. I'm not a moderator, but I come here to enjoy learning about new gear and other people's experiences. Recently, I've been reading considerably more hate mail. You know the type, "People who play more than 4 strings are just trying to show off." Or "Anything more than a Fender is a waste of money." And my favorite, "Exotic wood basses belong to guys who wish they could actually play them."

I'm not saying that controverseal topics shouldn't be discussed. But rather than starting a thread in an antagonistic manner, it may be more palatable if the writer starts with, "Extended range basses are not for me. Are there others like me?" Or "I love my Fender, and it's all I play." Or "To each his own, but I prefer the traditional styled basses to the exotic look."

I only mention this because the hate threads seem to waste a lot of time, anger members of talkbass and the threads usually get closed down anyway. Don't feel that I am on my own high horse. I too have had a thead I started closed. When I went back to read it, I realized I could have worded it in a less antagonistic manner.

Talk on!

2. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    I agree, but this thread will probably be moved!:D

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

This will most likely be moved but I totally know what you are saying...what I don't understand is why people assume people with nice basses can't play. I mean, I think I know why they say it personally, but to actually think it's true?

Why are you getting hate mail? What have you said or done that would cause people to actually send hate mail? Or do you just mean that it's on TB in general? And if that is what you are saying...yes...there is too much.

4. i notice you edited your post....

did you start out saying something along the lines of "if you don't think before you post you should be blown to smithereens! i'm right and you're wrong! now shutup!"

seriously though: amen, brother!

5. Bassmanbob

I haven't been getting hate threads. It's a general observation more so recently on talkbass specifically the basses section. That's why I started it here. In responce to your question I once began asking about similarities in two bass manufactures. You know. You PMed me. I could have worded it more appropriately.

6. Bassmanbob

I edited some spelling errors. I've always had a problem with spelling.

7. I'm new here and I too have found it curious all the "hater" mail.
    I've also observed that some of the people who complain of critical posts are also some of the first to be critical of others posts. Sort of like the kettle calling the pot black so to speak.
    I see alot of the eight year old coming out on these pages.
    Critical statements like "who cares", implications of stupidity or attacks on someones cred seem pointless. If a thread doesn't tickle you move on. Why waste time to criticize the author?
    That said I'm having a grand old time reading and posting and makin' new friends! Thanks TB!
    Peace

8. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    I HATE THIS THREAD!!!!! :bassist:

hehe ;-)

9. Bassmanbob

LOL!!! That's about the funniest response to a thread I've ever read.

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Bob, very good points you raise. And you're right - it's moving to Misc.