Chop Suey bassline? SOAD

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by jondog, Sep 23, 2002.

1. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Hey, does anybody know if the Chop Suey bassline is supposed to be the same as the guitar?

My guitarist wants me to play exactly what he does, but I think it sounds like crap. Part of it is that I can't do all of those 16th note halfsteps at tempo.

But mostly, it just makes more sense to me to have the bass do running 16ths on the riff (G F# Bb C) to provide harmonic stability

instead of

G#GG#GG#GG#G GF#GF# . . . etc.

Any thoughts?
  2. Sounds like root thumping following the guitar, no double stops. But if you have a line that sounds better to you, play that instead.

And this should be in t@bZ.
  3. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Yeah, sorry about the wrong forum. How do I move it?

I guess my point is that I want to thump the root, but the guitar part alternates

supertonic->tonic w/ 16th notes

and my guitarist/band leader wants me to follow him. I don't think the bass should be playing any supertonics, because it's the bass part and it's job is harmonic stability. I understand that the song's appeal comes from it's unusual riff, but I think the guitar is enough.

I can't quite hear what Shavo (?) is doing on the recording, but I almost don't care. He's not going to play my gigs. The supertonic->tonic alternation is so fast that I didn't hear it in the guitar part until I listened a few times.
  4. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I'll move it for ya......

Chris A.:rolleyes:
  5. Bessie

Aug 11, 2002
    Did you try the tab for that song?I pulled that tab from this site. I tried to learn that one and it seemed right to me. And, I don't think it's the same as the guitar either. Humbug!
  6. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Duh. This is probably my stupidest thread ever. I never check tabs here because I'm mostly an ear player.

FWIW, I did get the guitar tab off of HC.

The TB tab looks better, but I'm still not sure I agree w/ it. I'm pretty sure the last part of riff A is a whole step. The bass is really buried under the guitar, but now I think I hear quarter note roots for the first 3 notes, and then following the guitar for the end (CBbCBbCBbCBb).

Why is his tuning so odd? There is no reason for that.
  7. hayngman

Aug 20, 2002
    Wise County, TX
    It's just drop-D down a whole step.

:eek: Why am I talkin' 'bout tab here?:confused: