1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chopped part of my frettign thumb off

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Thunder_chops, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Thunder_chops

Thunder_chops

May 13, 2013
    While it reattches itself (which is now looking likely thank gawd :meh:) what exercises can I do in the mean time with my plucking hand other than increasing speed with a metronome and getting better at theory?

Cheers!

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    If you can still move the fingers on your fretting hand, you can still work with it. Just use your shoulder to pull back into the fretboard. This will apply enough pressure on the strings.

Good luck with that injury. That sucks!!

3. Listen to music a lot. Let your hand heal. The last things you need to be worrying about are 'theory' and 'speed.'

4. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Read about Tony Iommi and his fingertip injury.

5. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

Nov 22, 2008
    Braintree
    Retrovibe Artist rota
  6. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Good luck with your recovery. Do you believe in self-fulfilling prophesies? :bag:

7. In theory, one should be able to fret efficiently without putting their thumb on the back of the neck - you should use it only to guide and anchor, not to apply strenght. It could actually be an opportunity to improve your fretting technique.
    And good luck.

8. Thunder_chops

Thunder_chops

May 13, 2013
    I'm not wanting to do anything with my left hand atm, as it's still fairly sore so it's purely right hand technique I'm concerned about really. It's the inside side of my thumb that has had a chunk taken off so thankfully not too bad :ninja:

Just got the new motorhead album so that'll do for music at the moment, pretty good so far :bassist:

9. Thunder_chops

Thunder_chops

May 13, 2013
    JUST got that...had me laughing my arse off, ha ha! :D

10. DownhillWillie

DownhillWillie

May 22, 2007

11. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I'm sorry to hear of your unfortunate accident. Yes, take the time to heal. Listen to music. Study some music theory books. But take it easy with your left hand. Let it heal completely before putting stress and strain on it. Once healed, then start slowly to build up the atrophied muscles.

I broke my left pinky finger in a motorcycle accident a few years ago and had to take a few months off playing. It took a while to get the stamina back in that hand. My pinky didn't heal exactly straight either. I had to get used to that, make allowances, and re-learn a bit because I kept missing notes.

I wish you all the best. I hope you have a quick and complete recovery.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff