1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Choppy sound when moving

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Huge94, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Huge94

Huge94

Nov 22, 2009
    Montreal
    Hi

I lost my good cable and am stuck with a cheap one. Recently I noticed that sometimes when I play and while moving around, the sound becomes choppy, as if the signal stopped getting sent from my bass to the cable. When I move the cable head around in the bass's ''hole'', it chops a lot. I don't have another cable to try it yet, but do you guys think it's more likely to be the cable or the electronic contact in the bass?

Thanks

2. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Try it with another cable. If it does the same thing it's the electronic contact in the bass.

Be careful with side-mounted (or even top-mounted) jacks. Pulling the cable to the side can bend the internal connectors in the bass.

That's why I like L-shaped cable heads for side & top mounted bass jacks. Less of a lever effect.

Better still is the stratocaster-style angled recessed input jack, as seen on the Ibanez SR series. Nice.

Ritter is making angled recessed jacks except they are out of sight on the back of the bass. Great idea. Of course they are super expensive. Wonder why more luthiers don't do this?

3. Huge94

Huge94

Nov 22, 2009
    Montreal
    Thanks for the reply. My cable head is L-shaped and i'm not moving it around too much, just rotating it, not ''bending'' it or anything.

I will try with another cable. Do you happen to know how much it'd cost if it were the contact?

4. SidMau

SidMau

Sep 3, 2012
    I think sometimes the input jack and the cable head have different diameters, maybe only if from other countries though. I have a US cable that doesn't quite fit my Warwick input. It does do the Status fine most of the time, but not always

5. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    IF it's the input jack (i.e. the internal contact) it's an easy thing to replace. It should be about the cheapest service offered by a repair shop. Rates would vary by location of course.

If you can solder, it's an easy thing to replace. Only a couple of wires, spaced far enough apart to be easy to handle, not easily damaged by overheating. Not a bad beginner project.

Really though, try a different cable first.

In my opinion it's unlikely that the cable tip is a different diameter than the jack. Possible, but unlikely. Those things are supposed to be standardized. I've never been outside the US, but I have played basses made in the Czech Republic, Indonesia and USA, and only cables made (probably) in the USA.