Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

CHOPS?....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chips, Aug 11, 2004.

1. hello badgers...

Ok, im going to ask a dumb question and sound like a nugget right about now... so here it goes... What does "chops" mean? Apart from a form of sideburns and meat that is. :help:

Peace,
    Chips :bassist:

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The ability to play difficult or flashy pieces. If someone has chops it doesn't necessarily mean they are musical or can groove.

brad cook

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It comes from Jazz - where to play flashy runs on a trumpet, for example, requires a good embouchure - basically the area round your mouth. Rather than go through all this explanation, they just referred to chops - as slang for mouth - and this then came to be applied to any instrument, even if it didn't require a well-developed embouchure.

Of course the point is that embouchure requires constant painstaking practice and becomes more difiicult as you get older - so it was a commonly-used phrase that "so and so" had lost his chops!

So - he could no longer physically play the virtuosic stuff on his horn! :(

4. what? i thought it was internet music lingo for chopsticks...I learned that song just so i could tell people i have good chops!

d'oh

Charlie

5. If you're a brass player, it's reffuring to your lip, and how strong you lips are. that's why if you play with them, they may complain about their "chops" being tired.

6. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    Chops is now a broader term refferring to your endurance while playing music or your ability to play music.

7. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    :bassist:

8. I'm going to the woodshed to work on my chops.

9. presicely :)

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I've never heard it used to refer to endurance. Just ability to play well.

brad coo

11. Chef Puttz tip:
    BBQ lamb chops liberally doused with rosemary...... choice!

12. Looks a bit like a T-bone???? but funny though :D