Chord accompanying software

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BIg O, Jun 16, 2003.

1. I'm not sure if GI is the place for this, but I am posting here because the question came out of my lessons.

My instructor has suggested I find a software package that will play looped chords (which I can select) for me to practice improvising over - the idea is to help my ear find the sounds I want to play, and guide my fingers. The chord selection method should allow me to select the chord notes and voicings, in order to be able to construct any chord.

This exercise is intended to be supplemental to practicing scales and arpeggios, and to help my ear guide my hands in an improvisational setting while practicing alone.

I've looked at a bunch of midi-based stuff, but most of it seems designed for melody composition or playback, as opposed to chord reproduction and playing.

Does anyone know of a PC software package that might meet this need?

An alternative (a little clumsier) would be to record chords on my PC using a keyboard or with a guitar and then playback with a looper. Anyone have ideas on what packages might be appropriate for this?

Thanks in advance for your help, folks! :)
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The Classic:

Band In A Box

You'll find lots of realbook stuff on the net too.
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Yep, Band in a Box.
  4. Thanks JMX and Turock!

Just downloaded the demo - it is even more than what I need! I'll pick up the real thing when the demo expires in 2 weeks...:D :bassist: