Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chord Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bb77, Dec 17, 2001.

1. bb77

bb77

Oct 13, 2001
    Hi, well I'm searching for a new bass in which chords sound cool, any help or suggestions?

2. Fezzball3

Fezzball3

Nov 14, 2001
    they call them guitars.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:rolleyes:

bb77, any modern sounding bass with good highs and clarity on the lows is good for playing chords.

Also, extended range basses, such as 5, 6, 7 strings & higher are very good for chords as well. Chords in the lower registers tend to sound muddy, unless you play intervals greater than an octave, such as a root+10th+12th.

4. bb77

bb77

Oct 13, 2001
    That's agood idea, I think I'll put the higher strings such as F C G and D. Well thanks

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Come on buddy, what have I told you about naming chord tones? Odd numbers!!! Here: b11th (3rd), bb13th (5th).

Looks like you owe me some homework.

As far as chords on basses, I find any bass with a harder fretboard, like maple, ebony, or composite, tend to sound better. But any old bass should work fine.

6. Intrepid

Intrepid

Oct 15, 2001
    P Bass baby! I got this awesome song that I covered...its a church song that uses power chords....it sounds so cool....

7. Just promise me that you'll never, and I mean EVER even attempt to ANY chord on any Gibson bass. It just will not work. Really. So don't try it. Ever.

8. Epiphone Jack Casady! Oh, the clarity! Oh, the smoothness!

Mike J.

9. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    not sure if the 'chord tones' bit was a joke or not, but 10th and 12th are OK - not very clear, but 'correct' - b11th certainly isn't right - no such thing, unless it's in some sort of min7 chord (which would then sound pretty horrid... :oops:)

often intervals above the octave that are a repeat of a lower interval are referred to as 'compound', as in 'compound 3rd' (10th) or 'compound 5th' (12th) - 10th is a very common name for a compound 3rd. I've never heard anyone refering to a '12th', but there's no reason why not, and it's certainly much closer to being correct than bb13!!!!

...if the initial post was a joke, please ignore all the above... :oops:)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Technicallythere is a b11th. in the key of C an Fb is a flat 4 or the flat 11... although its the enharmonic equivalant of 3, but you can't say that it is the 3rd because the flatted four could b like a chord tone.. maybe in an augmented 6 chord or something.. or a chromati passing tone

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    To a person who's self taught, those last posts were VERY foreign to me. Man, I gotta get lessons! Maybe after the tour.

12. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    ...which is what I meant by saying that it could theoretically exist in some sort of min 7 chord - you'd have root, min3rd, fifth, min7th and b11 - in C it would be C, Eb, G, Bb, Fb, and would sound horrible... :oops:)

as a way of naming that interval, you'd confuse most people by trying to call it a b11 though...

steve

13. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I wouldn't worry - it's theory for people who talk about it, and has very little impact on what you'd actually play... :oops:)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    My MTD 635 sounds very clear and full with chords. I've gotten very good results with my Cirrus 5, too... and a few other basses.

15. Hey Warwick, if you're on tour, are the lessons really necessary? (like waking someone up to give 'em a sleeping pill ;))

Mike J. :cool:

16. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    LOL! That's great! I want to take lessons, because I want to grow as a musician. It's just something that's been eating at me lately.

17. another vote goes to the cirrus. my six sounds great when i occasionally use chords, just as long as it's above a low A i'm fine.

18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Steve, yes, it was half joke, but the reason why I put the (3rd) and (5th) in parenthesis is because those are what you'll actually see them as. The reason why I put the b11th and bb13th (i know, i know) is because he wanted them to be above the octave, and this is the most "correct" way I was taught to say them when they're above an octave away. I certainly didn't say you'd use them as such, but you're more likely to see those than you would a Asus(12), no? Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

I do understand that the 10th and 12th names can be used, but I've never heard them used before when naming chords.