1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Chord chart with tons of 6 and 9 chords

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by hublocker, Oct 12, 2010.

1. hublocker

hublocker

May 17, 2007
    I have a song I'm supposed to learn and the verses go

C6 F9 C6 D7 G9

I've played over the youtube version of the song (Momma was the rose of San Antone) with my usual major and Dom7 walking patterns, but it doesn't sound right.

Any tips on the chord notes to play on this?

2. 2nds, 6, 9 and major 7 chords don't work well with b7 (dominant) and minor chords. 3rds, and 6s will as the maj.7. Using the key of C for an example, try a lick that is E (3) / G (5) / A (6). Also a 6/ 9 chords lends itself to a doo wop sort of bass part- going back and forth from the 5th to the 6th.

3. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Do ya read music notation? If so, just write out the notes in the changes, using whole notes (and half, and quarter, as needed) to show the duration of the harmonies. IOW, lay out the chord tones on your chart in the bars where they occur.

Get those in your mind and ear by arpeggiating them (get around on the neck as widely as you can) against a click. Slow the tempo down as needed, then work it up--but practice the arpeggios in time across the chord changes.

Now add passing tones to connect the chord tones, observing the changes as they occur.

Hope I'm making the concept clear...but that sort of approach has been valuable to me. See the chord tones as arrival points in your lines, and fill in with passing notes or approach/neighbor notes.

4. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Actually, you can still take that approach even if you don't read music notation. Just practice arpeggiating the chords tones on the neck--then think about filling in between them.

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    That's some good, solid advice from ewo up there. ;)

If you understand the chords, it's much easier to create a bassline from their components.

6. Here are the chord tones and the notes involved with those chords. See if the song will let you use more of the chord tones than you have tried. I don't know the song, but, from the name I suspect it's country and your R-5 will normally work - try R-b7 on the 9's see if that helps. I don't play 9's I have played 6's. Normally playing 6's is just to give it another voice beyond the same ole, same ole. IMHO not a big deal, what normally works should still work here.

Have fun.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021