Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chord Charts

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Jeremy_X, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    I am not sure if this goes in this forum or not.

Maybe this has been asked before, maybe not.
    I am looking for a site or book that has a chord chart for bass chords. I have seen plenty for guitar chords, but I can't seem to find one for the bass. Specifically for the four string bass.
    HELP ME PLEASE!!!!

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Look through Mike Dimin's forum. I bet there's a real good thread or two in there that will help you out.

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Many books will suit your purpose.

"Chord Progressions for Bass." by Dr. William Fowler, 1987. This book has no tab or standard notation. All the chords are shown as dots on fretboard charts. You may or may not like this idea.

"Improvising Rock Bass" by David C. Gross. 1985. This book has both standard notation and tab. It explains the most commonly used chords in rock.

"Mel Bay's Complete Jazz Bass Book," by Earl Gately, 1999. Standard noatation only. Page nine has a chart with the formulas and names of TWENTY EIGHT different chords!

"Building Bass Lines" by Chuck Archard. 1998. Standard and tab. This book has a nifty chart on page 95 that shows the name of every chord from I through vii in every key.

"Mel Bay's Complete Blues Bass Book" by Mark Hiland, 1996. Yes, this has a blues empahsis, but many of the fundamental concepts hold true for
    jazz. This has tab in early sections of the book and standard noatation runs throughout the book.

You may also wish to check this web site:

http://www. bassbooks.com

4. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    My thanks to the both of you

5. wannabe_bassist

wannabe_bassist Guest

Jan 25, 2002
    Florida
    I just mailed off for two bass music dials:

www.musicdials.com

cheap and they look OK. Scales should be easier to learn with this (or so I hope). Getting tired of playing the major scale in one position.

I know that art.com has a cool looking bass guitar poster showing scales, etc.

Might want to check them out. Mine should arrive next week......

6. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    Thank you Wannabe.

7. Jeremy_X

Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    My thanks Mr. Grossman