Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chord fretting positions

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by yor123, Jun 25, 2001.

1. yor123

yor123

Mar 29, 2001
    New Orleans
    Michael Dimin's site (http://www.michaeldimin.com) gives a nice introduction to adding chords to one's lines. To anybody who has tried it, how to you fret some of the patterns. Do you barr with your first finger or do you attempt to fret each note individually? I am attempting individual fretting because when I barr, I am inconsistent with sound, sometimes muting and other times getting a nice clean sound. For example, If I try to play F7

----14-------
    ----13-------
    --------------
    ----13-------

I will use my first finger to fret the F , my middle to fret the Eb, and my third to fret the A

It is a little tricky to get to this position quickly and then hold it together when sliding up or down, but doable with practice.

Should I work harder with a barring technique? It is quicker, easier to slide, and allows muting . However in my hands, less consistent. With the above pattern, If I try to barr the F and A, I will tend to mute the A because of lack of force or flesh in my first finger. I really have to bear down to get both the F and A to sound clear. However, if it is considered better technique, I'll work at. (Man, does my first finger get sore at the knuckle when I try.)

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    The only time I barre is if I have to get a higher melody note(s) and need my pinky and/or third finger free to do so.

The F7, that you use as an example, I will fret each note individually. I will often use my middle finger to fret the F, my ring finger to fret the Eb and pinky to get the A. Those fingers tend to tuck under the others easier. It also allows me to, for example, get to a Bb7 much easier and more efficiently.

Also try setting your bass up with very low action. It will make the playing of the choirds MUCH easier.

Mike

3. yor123

yor123

Mar 29, 2001
    New Orleans
    Thanks Mike,

I appreciate the tips. I brought up the same question to my instructor and he gave me similar advice. Whew, am I ever happy that that barre technique isn't preferred. Individual fingering is just more comfortable.

Gregg

4. Every time I set my action low, I get nasty fret buzz, and I don't think it's a matter as much of my technique, but because the frets on my Squier ar uneven lol.

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Some of my students have Squiers and I have found that to be a common problem.

Mike