Chord progressions commonly used in rock, metal

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Every1TookMyName, Jul 14, 2001.

1. I love coming up with grooves, but I feel like I'm forever trapped in the I-IV-V chord progression. So can anyone give me some chord progressions used in rock?

(And I try to stay away from dumb rock... but thats pretty hard since I only know the I-IV-V progression, eh?)
  2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    The Maiden progression:

VI - VII - I - VI - VII - I (repeat)

3. Berme

May 11, 2001
    i´ve seen this in Dream theater, Pearl Jam and Queen songs: Imin7_bVII7_Imin7_bVIMaj7 (aeolian mode, of course).
    Metallica and Pantera songs (Fade to Black, Hollow)
    Imin7_bIIIMaj7_bVII7_Vmin7 (or Imin7).

Anyway, knowing theory will increase your ability to create your own chord progressions, and make sound what you had in your mind.
  4. I know some theory... I was played tuba for 3 years.

Unfortunately they only teach you how to read music. :mad:

However, I am taking 3 music classes next year (I'm in highschool), and one of them is a music theory class.

But yeah, I lean more towards Dream Theater, Pearl Jam and Queen.

I was also going to ask for prog chordal progressions, but I thought that there would have been too many to list.
  5. Berme

May 11, 2001
    take a look at DT tabs here in Talkbass. they are perfect, i mean, every single note is OK and you have even rythm notation for timing. For learning the progressions they use, if you finally use tabs, i highly recommend you to know what you are playing. I mean, if you see this:

you have to be able to know that you are playing a
    G7 arpeggio.

Rock chord progressions tend to be quite simple, compared to jazz ones (with secondary and substitute dominants, modal changes, reharmonization...) which sometimes can sound strange or confusing ( at least with me). However,DT songs can also sound very confusing sometimes. LUCK!
  6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    This is a classic, powerful chord progression from a classic, powerful song:

7. That's what I was going to say only the I is an aeolian minor (vi).:)
  8. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Why not go to a book store and look at some of the fake books there? That would give you some ideas about chord progressions.
  9. fake books? Do you mean instructional books or tabulature?
  10. a fake book is a group of tunes collected together normally belonging to a specific genre. they have jazz fake books (the real book), show tune fake books, rock, etc. they normally are notated with chord changes and a melody line written in treble clef. its not tab for sure..
  11. Cool, I'll have to check them out.