Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chord progressions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by IMsher, Oct 17, 2002.

1. IMsher

IMsher Guest

Mar 13, 2002
    Coos Bay OR.
    What other common chord progressions do you find that bass player needs to know. Other then a 1 4 5 progression

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    General Instruction.

3. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    As you listed the I-IV-V is probably the most basic progression.

In Jazz (as well as in popular music) a II-V-I progression is usually common or it may start on the I chord. You will also come across turnarounds that set up the next section in the tune. Common turnarounds are I-VI-II-V and III-VI-II-V. The V chord resolves to the I chord.

Hope this helps :)

4. IMsher

IMsher Guest

Mar 13, 2002
    Coos Bay OR.
    yes that will help thank you. I need to find more detailed info. Do you have any ideas where I can find some.

Thank you for your time

5. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    What would you like to know about in detail?

Anyway, you might want to do a search here. I just did a search using the terms common chord progressions and found quite a few good threads. Here is one:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48602&highlight=common+chord+progressions

Pay special attention to Gard's long post there about chord progressions. The thread isn't necessarily about common chord progressions but it will help you learn all about how they are built, etc.

Hope this helps :)

6. IMsher

IMsher Guest

Mar 13, 2002
    Coos Bay OR.
    Right after a posted my reply to you I found want I wanted right in General Instruction. It is the web site musictheory.net. I guess I should look before I leap :p

Any way thank you.