Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Chord progressions

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Funkin'_Bassist, Aug 29, 2003.

1. I was searching for chords to play while improvising on a blues scale .. I usually play dominant 7th or Minor 6th .. but am sure there is lots of other ideas ...
    peace,

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I'm not sure I get your question - the 'blues' scale is generally used over all dominant 7th chords within blues patterns - typically 12 bars long, and something like

I I I I
    IV IV I I
    V IV I V

or a variation thereof.

there are also Jazz alterations to that sequence, that involve substituting some more complex chord progressions for the extended stretches on one chord, but those aren't really about chords that go with a blue scale, they are more about how to reharmonise.

If you want to give us a clearer indication of what it is you're trying to do, then maybe I can offer something a little more concrete.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes it sounds like the wrong way round - so you would normally start with a chord progression and then decide what scales you could use over that chord progression - not the other way round. :confused:

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    "I'll get you yet 'Hey Steeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeve'!"

Love the avatar.

5. ok Steve ...
    I don't get what you mean ...
    but I'll try to make my question clearer
    I make progressions from major and minor and diminised chords from a rule .. which simply say that for a certain scale there are some chords that all their notes are contained in the scale ( that's as I understand it )
    my question is .. is there similar rules for other kinds of chords like dominant 7th or m6 ??

6. alankroeger

alankroeger

Sep 1, 2003
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm not Steve - but the answer is that every chord has several scales that could be used with it.

You could pick at least one scale which had all the notes of each type of chord - you could also pick scales which only share a few (important)notes with the chord.